Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968-D Lincoln Penny Toning

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  01:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RickyTan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi!

I tried to capture different angles of this penny to show its toning brilliance but I don't think the photos even brings justice to show how beautiful the toning of this penny presents. Unfortunately, the date got scratched.

Is this worth to have graded even with the scratched date and few scratches on rev? Any premium estimate to this penny?

Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The simple answer:

This is a non-event coin. It is not an error, it is a worn, circulated copper cent that has been exposed to environmental corrosives altering it's color. In most circles it is considered a damaged coin. Pretty doesn't mean value, sorry.

As a grade for the coin...it has been circulated fairly well, high points worn, the fields are inundated with coin and other material contacts, color is to brown, eye appeal low, is in the EF40 range, quite low for even for that date.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RickyTan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Appreciate the feedback!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15984 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first couple of pics made me think it was cleaned but the other pictures show the toning is under a brown patina. I kind of like it. If you like it, then keep it!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9995 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  04:23 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In most circles it is considered a damaged coin.

If that is in reference to the toning, I will say that there is a large divide between those strongly for and against toning. The majority of collectors fall somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't say that "most circles" consider it damage.

I like the toning on that coin, but it doesn't make me want to spend more on it if it were for sale. I agree in that it is definitely not worth getting graded.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17002 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simply put, we will never live long enough to see the value of that circulated cent being worth more than a cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40520 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2017  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry!

to the CCF
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05