Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1836 Capped Bust Half -- Cleaned?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
Canada
8609 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Coinhistory,

Do you have the coin in hand yet? This point was already mentioned, and I think it is so very important, but highly understated.

Quote:
It should be noted, though, that pictures often highlight these lines and make them look worse than they do in hand. Be careful, though, because the opposite is also true and some online sellers intentionally manipulate photos to hide such problems.

This is so true. Photos can bring out the absolute worst in a coin, and it can bring out the absolute best in a coin... when you have the coin in hand, please let us know...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhistory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I have not received the coin yet. Still on its way. I don't like the idea of it being cleaned because some of its history has been erased.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No, I have not received the coin yet. Still on its way. I don't like the idea of it being cleaned because some of its history has been erased.

Well at least you got to witness a first class debate. Sorry if it strayed from your original subject but that discussion needed to be had. One of great benefits of CCF is that we are able engage in important dialog that isn't censored by the admins.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhistory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the coin today. Here are some pictures.

Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhistory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinhistory to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would send it back. That is NOT the look of an original XF-45 coin. You can do much better than that. Again, PCGS has deemed it to be 'market acceptable'. Just because they did doesn't mean you have to. It has the details of an AU coin so they probably docked it a grade or two for the cleaning. Vote with your wallet.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
01/13/2018 10:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
853 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon Brand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it me or is the shape of the nose and bust strange? I see the same issue both in the seller and the ops picture. Slab looks legit but coin looks more then a little weird to me. Maybe I'm just tired and delirious because the more experienced folks here would have noticed in a second and said something.
View Collection: jbknifeandcoin.com
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it me or is the shape of the nose and bust strange? I see the same issue both in the seller and the ops picture. Slab looks legit but coin looks more then a little weird to me. Maybe I'm just tired and delirious because the more experienced folks here would have noticed in a second and said something.

I don't see any problems, in the second pic it looks like the light was reflecting off the coin.
Nevertheless, send this coin back immediately. It is definitely NOT original, uncleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep cleaned coin. I'm curious why you bought it coinhistory? Was it at a discounted price or did something else attract you to it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Believe whatever you want. The facts are the facts and this has been proven true hundreds of times for decades now.

I have talked with several (honest) dealers about this, and I firmly believe that there is no way that a grader can know who owns what coin. The coins are handed to the graders without any form of identification. Just order numbers to keep the coins together. They can certainly make inferences based on the size of the submission or the coins involved, but there is no way to tell for certain. Keep in mind that I do not like the TPGs, yet I defend them in this case.

The only time I can think of when a specific lot of coins was overgraded across the board was when NGC graded the Stacks' 57th Street hoard. I've found coins in those slabs to be around 10 points high.

I have gotten overly generous grades before, so it is not just a major dealer thing.
Edited by TypeCoin971793
01/23/2018 1:25 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05