Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Columbian - Coins #1, #400, #1492 & #1892

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2018  11:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So where are they? I know Remington (typewriter company) bought coin #1 for $10,000, and it sits in a museum, but what happened to the other three?

Q. David Bowers' book; Commemorative Coins of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia, tells about the unveiling of the coins, and how these 4 were handled differently, but he only tells us what happened to coin #1.

Anyone know where 400, 1492, and 1892 are?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6420 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honest question ...I do not have the answer.

Bump in case someone does.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28883 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not I, said the dog.
Learn More...
United States
61484 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Said the frog, not dog.

Commems might have the answer. I hope anyway.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8760 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, to assist the uninitiated, I had to scratch my head for a bit to figure out the significance of these #'s.

1... obviously, first coin pressed
1492... the year Columbus sailed the ocean blue
1892... the year of the World's Fair (Columbian Exposition) (duh)
400.... signifies the quadricentennial of Columbus' voyage

Sorry if this was obvious to everyone.

If anyone has the answer to where these coins might be, it would have to be commems.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3930 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone know where 400, 1492, and 1892 are?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I meant to get back to this one earlier but a bit of "life" has kept me occupied of late.

The 400th, 1492nd and 1892nd coins are all in the collection of the Chicago History Museum and have been since 1942. Prior to that, the coins were held either by Harlow Higinbotham, the president of the World's Columbian Exposition Company, or his descendants.

Mr. Higinbotham took possession of the coins on the day they were delivered to the Exposition Company by the US Mint (Philadelphia) on Monday, December 19, 1892; he held them until his death on April 18, 1919.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew you would know the answer.
Good job.
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Commems! I knew Higinbotham 'took' them initially, but I didn't know he held them. If I ever get back to Chicago, I'll have to go check them out. Cool.
Learn More...
United States
61484 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28883 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You da man!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5011 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Were these coins engraved or counterstamped in any way to indicate what they were or just in a box with a letter of some sort?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3930 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jack_jeckel: The coins were originally placed in numbered envelopes and were accompanied by a letter confirming the strike order. The coins were not stamped or engraved.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05