Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This 1986-D Lincoln Cent May Leave You Wondering. Atleast Me Anyway. Help Please  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  08:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shaunmichaels30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8212 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Badly beat up Zincoln . Zinc coming through on the hits . Don't know about the D MM . It doesn't seem to be an error .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
22947 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is zinc rot but, not knowing what your question is keeps me guessing to the answer you are looking for.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaunmichaels30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol what do you think my question coukd be if I ask for help and pit up a penny like this. Not everybody knows everything and looking for knowledge. Only simple question is very simple doubling on mint mark and reverse copper towards left aide
Pillar of the Community
United States
1375 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what the problem is. You need to moisturize. Out here we call that Michigan finger.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22947 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what do you think my question coukd be

Quote:
doubling on mint mark and reverse copper towards left aide

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15470 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble. Attack of the zinky zombie.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6313 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zincoln rotted of which we have seen numerous examples. Worth 1 cent and spent before it rots away.

Quote:
what do you think my question coukd be

You are new here and welcome to the best of all internet coin forums.

Alas our experts are not mind readers ... so please be mindful for us to best help you that your post should not only include the denomination/date/mm that our Admin folks added for you .... but equally important some words from you to tell us what you see of interest.

The coin you posted is zincoln rot ... believe that has already been said.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26574 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway -

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Since 1982, US cents have been made of a Copper plated Zinc planchet. The Copper plating is very thin and if this gets a crack or hole in it, even microscopic, it can let moisture get inside. Once moisture gets under the Copper plating, a reaction starts that literally eats the Zinc away leaving a hollow Copper shell.

This is what is happening to your coin. Collectors call it "Zinc Rot".
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05