Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 Cent S over D? This one caught my eye.. or playing tricks with my eye.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
67 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rpuckett to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Just going through change in my purse to see if anything stood out. This one looked like a blob until I put it under the scope.
What do you think?

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 79D mintmark was called "the dot" because the punch was so overused it was damaged on the inside post(broke off) and the lower left corner was broke off too. What you have is a contact hit on "the dot"...LOL!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strange but true. Still a keeper as an example of what can happen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28883 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye!
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add truman1404 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good pic, that would of got me too.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were an over mint mark, the 'S' would be hidden under/behind the mint mark:

But on your coin, it is not like that at all. There was a contact mark from another coin/something else that altered the mint mark. In 1979 the only 'S' mint mark used, then were on proof coins. So this is just PSD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05