Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1969 Jefferson Nickel Questions  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  01:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shaw69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again everyone, still going through my collection and as I get pictures posting what might be interesting. I know from what I have seen that the answer will mostly likely be some sort of PMD, but what has me asking is that the words on the obverse are not raised, its as if they are incised (not sure if that is the right word) into the metal, and I can't see what would do that, especially with the way the coin looks.

As I'm writing this I am trying to see more using a loupe I have and changed the title from no date to 1969. I see a mint mark but cannot read it. "IN GOD WE TRUST" looks like it was engraved INTO the metal, not raised, no matter how much I look at it. I don't know if the scan I took will show it. After previewing the post I can tell it will not be a helpful picture.

These seem to show what I mean better. Anyways, any thoughts, info, laughter, etc?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5222 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  01:46 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No laughter. It appears to have been subjected to a bath in acid. I don't have any like that, so I can't say what it does to the appearance of the legends.

They may be attacked a little quicker for having more total surface area than the fields within the same planar area.

In the end, it is post-mint damage.

Keep searching!
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Shaw69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for looking at it. It's part of a horde of coins I have in several boxes that I have just put away as not looking normal. Some of the really weird looking ones I am waiting to post until the digital scale I ordered finally arrives, because the weights will help when posting them.
Also, and this will most likely be something I am just blind of, where is the button to edit a post, such as when I realized I typod and want to fix it, or forgot to mention something? I have been going nuts trying to find it lol.

Edit: I found it, it was the one button that didn't show anything when you hover the mouse over it, so I hadn't tried it lol.
Edited by Shaw69
01/13/2018 01:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5993 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  02:00 am  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, the devices would be the least compacted and dense, especially the metal in the center of the device. The pressure of strike would have compacted the molecules tighter on the surface, hence fields and the edges/of letters would take longer to dissolve than the underneath. May have been hydrochloric acid not the more accessible and "weaker" nitric acid used,
Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5222 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  02:22 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edit: I found it, it was the one button that didn't show anything when you hover the mouse over it, so I hadn't tried it lol.

It's a very useful tool. Remember, you only have 24 hours to edit a post.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5137 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
not raised, its as if they are incised

@shaw69, I think that the two words that you are looking for are "incuse" and "relief".

This nickel is pretty ugly, but still interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your others too.
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20996 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please!

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11946 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that one has had an acid bath but please show any others you have questions about.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05