Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Dimes (1996-2000) Made of Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  10:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all! I posted this question on another forum but I haven't really got an answer yet in two months, so I've decided to give this tried and true website a chance.

I am having a problem looking for PROOF coins that Charlton Press has listed as real; though I don't think so. I'm hoping Charlton made a mistake or two in the book (2016 version) and I can actually cross off a few coins from my 'Want-List'.

Primarily, Charlton listed Canadian Proof dimes in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, & 2000 that are made of nickel. I have acquired silver proof dimes from each of those years, but can't find any nickel proofs for sale anywhere in the past two years. Help....help!

Also, Charlton also lists a Canadian 1996 Half-Dollar Proof made of nickel. Does this exist?

As I mentioned, I'm hoping the listings were errors, and I would have six less proof coins to complete my sets. Any help is appreciated!!

Atticguy (PS: Sorry for my long absence)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3963 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between 1996 and 2000, the only proof examples available for the five-cent, ten-cent, twenty-five set and fifty-cent coins were those included in the Double Dollar proof sets; the coins in those sets were issued in sterling silver. No proof sets with base metal coins were issued during those years. (Note: the sterling silver proof ten-cent coin was also available in the "Tall Ships" gift set.)

Listings in Charlton for base metal proof coins are a mistake. I've got the Whitman/Haxby catalog from 2012 - it has the proof ten-cent coins listed correctly (i.e., as sterling silver vs. base metal).

RE: 1996 half-dollar coins - Haxby lists proofs only in sterling silver.

Hope that helps!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the best reply I've had so far! :)

I've had pre-labeled 2x2's for these six coins (the 5 dimes and 1 half) for over two years in my binder; and they really 'sticking out' with their 'emptiness'. I'll be happy to remove them and move all the silver proofs together as I thought they were.

What made me really question the Charlton info was the fact that they ONLY mentioned 'clad' proofs for the dimes but no other coins of the same period.

There are a few other coins in my Charlton books I have questions about (like the 4-pink-ribboned Breast Cancer quarters) but I'll post them later.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
596 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wilsonwu89 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 4 pink ribboned breast cancer coin may be referring to the one that comes in the bookmark.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05