Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1871 Indian Head Coin  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  2:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 19Larry47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can any one tell me what happened to this IH coin ? They are not drill holes as they are too clean and smooth ! What grade and value would it be in this condition ? Hopefully I am posting in the correct area to get my answer ?

Edited by 19Larry47
01/17/2018 2:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23265 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Some kind of post mint damage.As to grade.it is a damaged coin so it will get a details notaction to whatever grade it is. I am not good at grading so I will not.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
59036 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27279 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade would be EF details because of the post-strike damage.

to the CCF!
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 19Larry47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The collector I bought it from must have thought so too, I got it for about $75 but it helped to finish my collection of IH ‘s, I don’t like to go below EF with any of my collections, most times !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15652 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sigh. That coin isn't worth anywhere near that price, I'm afraid.

That type of damage nearly destroyed the numismatic value, even for a scarcer date.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 19Larry47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way that I look at it is, looking past the damage it is at least an EF grade and is one of only 3.9 million minted which is one of the more scarce years, so it is no worse than any other that has flaws for various reasons ! It is still quite collectable and has a decent value because of its grade but you are correct not near its full value if it wasn’t damaged ! For now it still looks good in my mostly EF+ collection ! Thats the the way I think on these type of issues but I sure appreciate others more expert thoughts / experience / knowledge on them !
Edited by 19Larry47
01/17/2018 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8446 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larry , I have an unfinished near EF to EF-45 set of IHC . All I can say is, that 1871 would never fit into my collection . Nor would I pay what you paid for it .
Just being honest .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The way that I look at it is, looking past the damage it is at least an EF grade and is one of only 3.9 million minted which is one of the more scarce years, so it is no worse than any other that has flaws for various reasons ! It is still quite collectable and has a decent value because of its grade but you are correct not near its full value if it wasn’t damaged ! For now it still looks good in my mostly EF+ collection ! Thats the the way I think on these type of issues but I sure appreciate others more expert thoughts / experience / knowledge on them !

In my opinion, 75 dollars does not seem like a bad price at all for that. Have a look at this: https://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-cen...Lot=1x=0&y=0

This one has roughly the same details grade as yours, and it's been harshly cleaned. Yet it still sold in auction for $211.50. If you wanted a problem-free piece for that price, you'd have to go down to around Good condition.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 19Larry47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats exactly the way I looked at it, I will bide my time till another one comes along and I am in the mood to buy it ! An EF lists for over $400 with out the damage so $75 is not a lot of $ !
Edited by 19Larry47
01/17/2018 10:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4119 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes at 19% of the value of an unmolested coin you are probably in the ballpark.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
New Zealand
141 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You being happy with the coin is all that matters.
EAC #6558
Pillar of the Community
United States
4076 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larry and yes, if it makes you happy.

Would love to see the rest of your collection.

Learn More...
United States
59036 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You being happy with the coin is all that matters.
I agree.
Canada
25 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 19Larry47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For now I am happy with that coin because of its grade as I always aim for at least EF and higher and the fact that it helps to complete my collection ! All I need is the scarce 1877 and a few varieties !
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05