Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half Cent Opinions Sought

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
275 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do so enjoy filling holes in albums, and have been obsessing lately over finding another set to add to the collection. I am curious to hear any thoughts here about Half Cents, whether they are a good set to chase, whether one gets bored doing so, are there good references or many other collectors out there, etc. I am thinking about mid grade on the later dates, lower grade on the earlier ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8900 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half Cents RULE!! You will not be disappointed in your quest!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41354 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one Moe. Agree Half Cents are a great field. I collected the draped busts for many years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I don't know about those tiny coins. They don't seem like much fun.

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
01/20/2018 1:12 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite - but I am probably in the minority.... Love the old coppers. Lots of varieties too if you're into that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting set to pursue. Have many green pieces of paper with you when you start shopping.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are wanting to complete the set make sure them green pieces of paper have Franklin's mug shot on them!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the old Half Cents, but unfortunately I only own a couple of them.

If you do pursue....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Half Cents represent a good value. However, it takes patience with these coins as many have planchet issues or other problems with an overall low-ish mintage on most coins. I don't know about good references though.
Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ProfLiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half Cents are great - historical, beautiful, and interesting! There are lots of good background research materials. Coins are fairly available (with the exception of two stoppers, 1796 and 1831); even the key 1811 appears with good frequency (there are 75 on eBay right now). Most dates are affordable in circulated grades, and many post-1809 dates are affordable even in mint state.

This article claims that they are among the most undervalued classic coins:

https://sauerwine.blogspot.com/2012...s-coins.html

Here's one of my favorites for inspiration:

Valued Member
United States
373 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ProfLiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, one more thing: There are lots of fun "naked eye" varieties. For example, the second 8 in the date of the 1808 I posted above was made from two small letter O's. 1804 has a variety with a spike coming out of Lady Liberty's chin. There are dramatic overdates: 1802/1, 1808/7, and 1809/6. The 1828 features a version with only 12 stars, instead of 13.

What's not to love?!
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have known I would get a positive response from you bunch of instigators :) OK, let me think on this a little more, I appreciate all the info and opinions!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorite series is Half Cents.
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Coins are fairly available (with the exception of two stoppers, 1796 and 1831); even the key 1811 appears with good frequency (there are 75 on eBay right now).

Don't forget the 1793 Liberty Cap Left, probably one of the scarcest of all U.S. type coins. I'm eventually going to need one for my type collection, though I don't foresee myself getting one of those for a very long time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41354 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ProfLiz - Beautiful coin, is it yours?
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like them, but I just have the three in my 7070. Those were not easy to find. I am not sure I could pursue a set, but it might be fun.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05