Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 Ml 10 Cent Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I have this 1947 maple leaf 10 cent coin. I have been looking for a similiar error and I haven't found this particular one. There looks to be an apostrophe above the I in VI. Closer look it seems to be either the denticle extended or a double struck portion of the I? Has anyone seen this? and and what type of error would it be. Thanks in advance for any information.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a die chip.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like this "chip" is more a die dent, caused by a previous indent from a fallen out grease plug. It is too squared off, like a digit or letter section, interesting. Die chips are irregular in shape.
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I agree that it looks like a portion of a letter. The other variances with this coin are the "bump" on the nose, and a raised area on the cheek. I have other 1947 ml 10 cent coins and they do not have these variances, one has what looks like a tear drop though. I've tried to provide a clearer picture. The camera on my phone has limited capabilities.

Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On this 1947 ml 10 cent the king has what to me looks like a tear. I was given this collection with out any notes as to which coins had errors, varieties etc. Hence my research, which has become quite fun. He may have collected "tear" KGVI coins...again photo quality but still visible.
Valued Member
Canada
345 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump on the nose is a ding from circulation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. These pics hardly look like the same coin. Would you use an arrow to point out this tear drop, please.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/24/2018 1:30 pm
Valued Member
Canada
142 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I have taken better pictures. I agree the initial pictures posted of coin #1 were not great. The first 1947 ml 10 cent is the one with what looks like an apostrophe above the I in VI. Another variance with this coin is what appears to be a tear drop. In my opinion it could have been caused by the portion of letter dragging, leaving a piece that looks like a tear and an indent on the bridge of the nose. The second 1947 ml 10 cent has what I think looks like a tear. It is an ident that is on the king's cheek and nose.
#1 1947 ml ten cents
Has a portion of a letter above the I (looks like an apostrophe) and on his cheek. Indent on nose.

#2 1947 ml ten cents
Has an indent on the nose and cheek, in my opinion looks like a tear.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05