Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 Seated Liberty Dollar - Hopefully All Those Bidders Aren't Fooled?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3707 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1857 U.S. Seated Liberty Silver Dollar

Looks like a really poor reproduction to me?

Never been to this sellers brick and mortar shop but they are not that far from me. Surely a shop owner must see this for what it is right? Makes me avoid any future dealings with them since this isn't the first fake I've seen listed in their eBay store.

What do you say?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41286 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No expert, but it looks OK to me. Why do you think otherwise?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in Indiana...but over 100 miles from Lawrenceburg.
It's tough to tell if it's fake or not. It definitely needs further examination. Could just be cleaned/polished, but definitely not original surfaces. Could be a fake, not sure.
Edited by SilverDollar2017
01/30/2018 8:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am about the farthest you can be from expert. For knowledge-sake(and perhaps future scam avoidance), what is it that you guys are seeing that makes it look fake?
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a beaten up sld that was cleaned with a brillo pad. And someone used the obverse for a skateboard. That said, I wouldn't buy it. What do you see that alarms you?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3707 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Softness around the rims/denticles( The toothlike devices encircling the rim of some coins). Almost absent in many places in on the reverse of this coin. Many fake coins have problems with the denticles.

2. Obverse showing VG-Detail while reverse showing XF level detail. May be harshly cleaned/damaged to create this effect but these discrepancies are common in fakes.

3. The brownish stain around Liberty's head on the obverse looks similar to the tone seen on many fakes for sale from the site that must not be named.

I cannot find this exact coin on the marketplace for fakes (the site that must not be named) but this date is heavily faked.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3707 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the coin's favor, the date appears to be correct for the year and a lot could be attributed to environmental damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41286 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harshly cleaned for sure, and not very appealing, but I think it's genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the date looks right.

Here's pics for the record:

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually looking at pics on our site, the denticles do seem to be worn off in places on the reverse that don't match the wear patterns on the devices. You might be on to something.
Edited by MikeF
01/30/2018 9:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8712 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am suspicious of it. Especially the denticles and toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The look of the metal is off. Especially on the reverse.

For me, this is usually the calling card of a fake. Fake, I say!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great gift idea!
Learn More...
United States
77182 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real or fake, its condition alone is a hard pass for me.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05