Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Seller "austincoins" - Artificial Toning On Mercury Dimes And Others?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  10:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Check out the coins of eBay seller austincoins (type seller:austincoins into eBay search box). I was looking at a particular 1928-S merc with a bad angled photo and odd yellow-tinged toning around the edges. A check of this seller's other coins indicates quite a number with the same. I see some other more typical looking coins and sure enough, those have more normal straight-on photos. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this seller and if you all believe these coins with the yellow tinged toning are likely doctored. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you please post a link?
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was the specific coin I was looking at:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-S-10C...192444662754

I hate these angled photos. I'm trying to discern if this is the large "S" type but the mm is blurry in every photo.

...this seller has a whole bunch of coins listed that have a similar appearance. They're selling a number of mercs (and some Rosies) with this same yellow-tinged toning near the rim or even black toning on/near the rim, etc.

on the eBay app, you can type the following into the main search box and just filter for US coins:

seller:austincoins
Edited by one_fine_dime
02/04/2018 12:03 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning is fine, none of that toning carries any significant premium
Fire A.J. Preller
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I don't believe the toning is "fine" as you say. It looks very unnatural to me and extremely odd that so many coins offered by this seller have this similar toning. I was NOT suggesting a premium might be appropriate here, quite the contrary as it doesn't appear natural at all.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you had your mind made up already why even ask?

Most of them are just kind of "dirty" from a folder or album. As I said the toning is fine
Fire A.J. Preller
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, everyone has a hunch about certain things, I was just looking for a consensus from others. You may very well be correct. I am just skeptical based on the number of coins with this same toning pattern, and how the photos of these are presented differently compared to other coins listed by this seller, that also happen to be void of this particular toning pattern.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Baseball. Most likely toned from an album.
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider that toning not to be artificial, where: artificial = a deliberate act that is done with the intent to deceive.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18731 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too think it got that way from being in a Folder.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller may have bought the dimes in a lot that were all stored in the same manner. The toning on the dimes looks natural for album toning. I have not seen any AT dudes put the black tarnish on the rim of the coins with natural color progression. The seller is taking the photos at an angle to show the color in the toning. Taking photos of toned coins can be difficult and photo skills are needed to get quality toned photos without glare or weird angles.

Edited by Slider23
02/05/2018 10:59 am
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. So what type of album(s) cause this rim toning?

So I guess while NOT artificial, this toning is from the recepticle in which the coins were stored. I find it less appealing both due to the yellow tinge and the uneven obv/rev distribution; as opposes to natural toning that results in circulation cameo!

I also feel if the seller is taking special angled photos to somehow "showcase" this toning, they are doing a disservice to potential buyers with these somewhat in-focus / somewhat blurry pics. 99% of his/her "competitors" take straight-on photos and all details can be considered together. These angled photos distort the view imho.
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Check AES's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any album containing cardboard will set it off given sufficient heat, humidity, and storage conditions. The rim will take the brunt and it'll go from there.
Valued Member
United States
415 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do Dansco albums do this?!
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  07:58 am  Show Profile   Check Copper Penny Connection's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Copper Penny Connection to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see this type of toning all the time. Its likely caused by leaving the album in less than ideal conditions (heat)..... Ive known danscos to be more problematic with PVC, however the toning on those dimes appear 9/10 times from old blue cardboard Whitman album. I tear sets from those books all the time and have even started calling it Whitman toning or the Whitman effect. lol
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ive known danscos to be more problematic with PVC
There is no PVC used in Dansco albums.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05