Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can we post a complete commemorative collection?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 69
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  06:48 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The World War II 50th Anniversary commemorative coin program was the only coin authorized by PL102-414. The law required that
Quote:
The design of the coins authorized under this Act shall, in accordance with subsection (b), be symbolic of the participation of the United States in World War II. In addition, the design of the gold coin authorized under section 4(a)(1) shall be emblematic of the Allied victory in World War II, and the silver coin authorized under section 4(a)(2) shall be emblematic of the Battle of Normandy.
and IMHO the coins met these requirements.

Quote:
—Surcharges received from the sale of coins minted under this Act shall be distributed by the Secretary as follows:

(1) BATTLE OF NORMANDY FOUNDATION.—The first $3,000,000 received from the sale of coins shall be transferred to the Battle of Normandy Foundation and used to create, to endow, and to dedicate, on the 50th Anniversary of DDay, a United States D-Day and Battle of Normandy Memorial in Normandy, France, adjacent to the largest World War II Museum in the world in Caen, France, and to encourage and support visits to the memorial by United States citizens, and especially students.

(2) AMERICAN BATTLE MONUMENTS COMMISSION.—The first $7,000,000 received from the sale of coins after the $3,000,000 referred to in paragraph (1) shall be deposited by the Secretary, subject to subsection (b)(2), in the fund established in the Treasury which is available to the American Battle Monuments Commission for the expenses incurred in establishing a memorial on Federal land in the District of Columbia or its environs to honor members of the Armed Forces of the United States who served in World War II and to commemorate the participation of the United States in that war.

The World War II Memorial is one of the largest monuments in Washington DC and is well worth visiting. I haven't had the privilege of visiting the memorial in France.

Here are my all examples of the commemorative coins. All are the proof versions and the half dollar is ungraded...

Pillar of the Community
United States
5396 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WW2 proof dollar

WW@ $5 ms69

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just commemorative issues. The knowledge of our own safety bought with the treasure and blood and lives of our own people and so many more people not counted as our own.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6395 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your photos are outstanding BadDog - and I appreciate as well your educated contributions to the history behind these treasured coins.

The WWII issue brings emotion to me - my 93 year old WWII vet dad passed away last year ... one of the last of the 'greatest generation'.

Please allow me the following tribute -

Joyce C. Pipkin
1923-2017
US Navy WWII UDT Team #4
University of Arkansas QB
Alcoa Vice President
My Mentor
My American Hero
All my love Joyce

A final photo - Joyce at age 93 and me ... a true American hero who did what was needed in his day. He never spoke about it - simply lived his life as my hero. I miss him greatly.

These were the man and women who saved the world.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
06/12/2018 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicklesearcher,

A fitting tribute!

They were indeed the Greatest Generation and set a very high bar for the rest of us to aspire to.

Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  06:02 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today marks the last day for the modern commemoratives. It's been a LONG run.

One of 7 commemoratives authorized by PL 104-329, the Yellowstone National Park was
Quote:
to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the establishment of Yellowstone National Park as the first national park in the United State and the birth of the national park idea...

Here is my example of the proof silver dollar...

Pillar of the Community
United States
5396 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1999 Yellowstone dollar set.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More beautiful modern commemorative. Thanks for sharing these true masterworks. The bison on the reverse of that one is enough for me to want one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5396 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  03:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last commemorative on the list 1936 York County

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6395 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread - thank you to all the participants.

I have not been keeping score - how did we do relative to the topic of 'posting a complete commemorative collection'? Have to believe we missed a few - although I am impressed by the collective depth of the members holdings.

For me - I've enjoyed the opportunity to share examples of the classic silver series in honestly circulated state .... these are by and large rare examples which are seldom seen.

In that spirit - I'll close my contributions with the final type set coin from my circulated holdings ... very difficult coin to find today and one of the six 'stoppers' from the circulated classic set.

1936 York County (Maine) Tercentenary Half Dollar - PCGS AU55

Enjoy - and take care to all
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread - thank you to all the participants.

and a special thanks to Coronet1832 for starting the thread
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickelsearcher - I echo your enthusiasm for the beautiful circulated CSC set that you have assembled. Before you posted your collection I was one of the one's who thought collecting circulated type was simply nuts.

I always remind myself that no matter what a person has decided to collect, their choices are every bit as valid as anything I might choose. However, intentionally collecting circulated was beyond my understanding.

You have changed my opinion and I very much appreciate that. I can look at those well worn examples and appreciate them for what they are and what they represent. Your excellent notes about each contribution have been a great help indeed.

Muddler - your collection, spanning both CSC and modern issues, well presented by your photos, have also helped change my mind about the modern issues. I could not see why anyone would pay high prices for moderns that have larger mintages than the old issues. I've really enjoyed your presentation and I thank you for doing so.

BadDog - you have also helped with some really gorgeous photos, some of which became coins I really, really want to own. I only have a couple of year sets to complete, two coins left in my 1934-1964 set, and I'm working on as high end of a 1793-1964 type set as I can afford. I've decided to go with modern commemoratives as my next goal, and I believe I'll start out with the gold. Thank you, and all the modern contributors for your postings.

I've also enjoyed the numerous historical presentations that you've attached to your posts to give me a MUCH better understanding on why certain issues deserved commemoration.

Jbuck and da' Frog - I've enjoyed your comments. I hope we might have stirred some desire in you for collecting a few of these beauties.

Beefer - MY MAN - it really amazes me how quickly you went from starting a CSC set, to getting so many really no kidding beautiful examples. I've been so very impressed with your selection. You are building a marvelous collection that you will always be rightly proud of.

I'm afraid I still haven't found my perfect Bay Bridge so that I could offer my 65 to you. I'll keep looking. Thanks for buying a couple CSC from me so I could upgrade too.

Worn out - you've shown some absolutely killer coins. Those are the ones everyone TRIES to wait for, but not everyone has the patience. You've obviously learned to wait for the most mouth watering examples possible. I congratulate on your exceptional choices. Your patience is a key ingredient in capturing such beautiful CSC.

Celtic Knot, Coronet, Fuzzy, Alpha, and everyone else that I've probably forgotten - thanks to everyone for making this one of the most enjoyable threads I've ever contributed to.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has been a fun and informative thread. I haven't had much to contribute (others beat me to it, had better pictures or better examples, and my collection is small by comparison) but learned a lot and found a few pieces to add to my wish list.

Has anyone been keeping track of pieces we missed? I don't recall the 1915 Pan-Pacific $2-1/2 gold (wouldn't have expected either $50 piece), maybe some others -- should we fill the holes if we can?
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing if we didn't see them, no one has them, or at least those that were paying attention to this thread.

But if you would like to show us photos (even if you don't own them) and brief information, I can't think anyone would mind.
Page: of 69 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05