Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins Representing The Animal Kingdom.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,178 / Views: 84,991Next Topic
Page: of 146
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll admit that it's a very stylized rendition, but that is an eagle on the coin's reverse! (Some see a shark when the coin is flipped!)

The 1936 Bridgeport Centennial half dollar was issued to mark the centennial of the Connecticut city.

1936 Bridgeport, CT Centennial Half Dollar

The shark appears...

To read more about this coin, check out my previous post about it here: 1936 Bridgeport Centennial Half Dollar.

More of my commemorative posts can be found at: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Picked this out of the bargain bin just because it was big and heavy, about the size of a Morgan dollar... Alley cat, Manx cat, and 2 birds.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The IOM released about 30 different different designs in its "Cat Crown" series between 1970 and 2016 - it could make for a nice collection!

Thanks for the info - It's actually the first one I've ever seen.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a third California history half dollar from the classic US series that includes a grizzly bear in its design - the 1936 Bay Bridge opening coin. (The 1925 California Statehood Jubilee and the 1935/36 California-Pacific International Exposition [aka San Diego] half dollars are the other two.)

The Bay Bridge half dollar marked the completion and opening of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge which connected the two cities across the San Francisco Bay.

1936 Bay Bridge Opening Half Dollar

To learn more about this coin, check out: 1936 Bay Bridge Opening Half Dollar.

I've made other posts about the coin which can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1936 Bridgeport Centennial half dollar was issued to mark the centennial of the Connecticut city.

I've always liked that "Retro" version of the eagle.
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a third California history half dollar from the classic US series that includes a grizzly bear in its design - the 1936 Bay Bridge opening coin.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do like natural-setting eagles on coins!

Here's a favorite of mine from Canada that was issued back in 2019.

I previously wrote about it here: 2019 Valiant Bald Eagle

Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do like natural-setting eagles on coins!

Here's a favorite of mine from Canada

Yes, that's very nice. Hope the US Mint is taking notes....
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a favorite of mine from Canada that was issued back in 2019.
That is a great looking eagle. Not the typical depiction.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another eagle-themed coin from Canada and the Royal Canadian Mint. This one depicts a convocation of bald eagles with all three staring at something of interest in the distance.

It's a one-ounce silver coin, 38 mm in diameter and struck as a proof. It carries a $15 denomination.

You can read a little bit more about the coin here: 2018 Magnificent Bald Eagles Coin.

Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An oxen team hard at work!

The Oregon Trail Memorial Association half dollars did not commemorate a specific anniversary, but rather were intended to honor the heroism of the thousands of pioneers who traversed the fabled trail for destinations in the Western US and to honor those who died along the trail without making it to their intended new home.

1926 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar

Here's a closer view on a 1936 example of the coin:

I've posted about this coin before, you can read it here: 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar

My other posts about US commemorative coins are her: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
01/12/2021 8:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1926 Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar.

One of my favorites. Chose it as one for my 7070.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
94533 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5058 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the skull of a long-dead cow count?

Here's another selection from the classic US commemorative coin series - the 1935 Old Spanish Trail Half Dollar.

The coin was issued to commemorate the alleged 400th anniversary of the Cabeza de Vaca expedition and the opening of the Old Spanish Trail. (Check out my Redux post (link below) to learn why I say "alleged.") The coin's obverse depicts the skull of a cow!

You can read more about the story behind the Old Spanish Trail coin here: 1935 Old Spanish Trail Half Dollar and here 1935 Old Spanish Trail Redux.

Edited by commems
01/14/2021 07:09 am
Page: of 146 Previous TopicReplies: 2,178 / Views: 84,991Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05