Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mythology On Coins. Post Yours...

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 7,393Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4903 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really cool. Thanks for sharing Commems. I love the symbolism.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial Half Dollar
Thank you for the additional perspective on this one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2021  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck/chafemasterj: You're very welcome! Glad you enjoyed the post.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 Greece.
5 Drachmai - Constantine II National Revolution; Regime of the Colonels.'

Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1890-1908 China Kwangtung Province.
20 Fen GuangXu.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse of the 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial commemorative half dollar includes a standing figure of Liberty seen front and center, with the Old Lynchburg Courthouse in the background. Liberty is depicted with outstretched arms and open hands (palms up) in a sign of "Welcome!"

The modern allegorical representation of Liberty is based on the Roman goddess Libertas who was the goddess of liberty and personal freedom. Libertas paralleled Eleutheria in Greek mythology; Eleutheria also represented freedom.

Virginia Senator Carter Glass is seen on the coin's obverse. He was opposed to his portrait appearing on the coin, but was outvoted by the other members of the Lynchburg Sesqui-Centennial Association (the coin's sponsor); Glass served as the honorary chairman of the Association.

Artist/Sculptor Charles Keck prepared the design and models for the coin; Keck had previously worked on the gold $1.00 coin for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition and the 1927 Battle of Bennington/Vermont Sesquicentennial half dollar.

1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can find other of my posts about the Lynchburg half dollar here:

- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial
- 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial - Coins Depicting Places Thread

To read other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/27/2021 1:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100 dollars - Elizabeth II
1976 Montreal Olympics.

(Coin # 2)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Though it is commonly considered the obverse by collectors and grading services, the side of the 1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial half dollars that features the conjoined, left-facing portraits of Lady Liberty and a Quapaw Native American chief is officially the coin's reverse - per the US Mint. Thus, it's on the reverse that we find the coin's link to Roman mythology.

Lady Liberty is depicted wearing a Phrygian cap emblazoned with "LIBERTY" to ensure her identification would be beyond question. The modern allegorical representation of Liberty traces its roots to the Roman goddess Libertas who was the goddess of liberty and personal freedom. In Greek mythology, the counterpart of Libertas was the goddess Eleutheria who also represented freedom.

The coin's obverse design is dominated by an eagle perched on a rising sun along with a portion of the Arkansas State Flag. (Use the link below to learn more about the symbolism behind the stars within the design.)

Edward Everett Burr created the design drawings for the coin; Emily Bates developed the sculpted models. Miss Willie Hocker was the designer of the Arkansas State Flag - a primary component of the coin's obverse design.

1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial Half Dollar

You can find other of my posts about the Arkansas half dollar here:

- 1935 Arkansas Statehood Centennial
- B Max Mehl & The Arkansas Centennial
- Arkansas Centennial Ephemera
- 1935-39 Arkansas Statehood Centennial - Stars.

Other of my post about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Edited by commems
03/28/2021 10:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100 dollars - Elizabeth II
1976 Montreal Olympics.
Composition Gold (.5833)

Commemorative issue
1976 Montreal Olympic Games

(Coin # 1 of 5)
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5919 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2021  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1936 Cincinnati half dollar commemorating the city's alleged 50th anniversary as a "Center of Music" features a reverse design that harkens back to the mythology of Ancient Greece. (See the link below for a discussion on the validity of the coin's commemorative subject.)

The coin's reverse is described as depicting the Goddess of Music; it was designed by Constance Ortmeyer. While I have not located a specific "Goddess of Music," ancient Greece did have "Mnémosyne, Memory, mother of the nine Mousai, Muses, goddesses of music, poetry, and the sciences." (1) Among the nine muses was "Polymnia, or Poly-hymnia, of sacred music and poetry." (1) This leads me to wonder if Ortmeyer simply created an image of a "generic" goddess and depicted her holding/playing an ancient musical instrument - the lyre - to connect her with music.

Considering the level of "truth stretching" behind the use of Stephen Foster's portrait on the obverse, and the coin's questionable commemorative theme of Cincinnati as a center of a vibrant music scene in 1886, it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility to consider Ortmeyer used a bit of artistic license in preparing the reverse. I don't blame Ortmeyer, however, for any licenses taken regarding the coin's designs, I believe the "man behind the coin" - businessman and coin marketer, Thomas G. Melish - was the driving force for the designs.

1936 Cincinnati Music Center Anniversary Half Dollar

For more about the Cincinnati half dollar and an associated original holder (ephemera), have a look at:

- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary w/ Anniversary Legitimacy Discussion
- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary - Revisit
- 1936 Cincinnati Music Center 50th Anniversary - Ephemera
- What if? 1937 Cincinnati Music Center Half Dollar

For other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Works Cited:

1. Kelsey, Francis W. An Outline of Greek and Roman Mythology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1889. p 22.

Edited by commems
03/30/2021 10:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4903 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it would seem that some creative license was taken in the design of this coin. But it is really cool nonetheless. Nice coin and write up commems.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=303507
Learn More...
United States
100962 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2021  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating! I never realized the (in)significance of the reverse image and am not surprised it was "fudged" given this coin's history.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17826 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1924 R Italy.
1 Lira - Vittorio Emanuele III.

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 7,393Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05