Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help identifying Umayyad/Abbasid (?) fals  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Italy
2 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  08:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add opeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
Can someone please help me identify this fals? I think it's Umayyad but I'm not sure. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
Austria
438 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  09:13 am  Show Profile   Check coinworldtv's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinworldtv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck on that one :)
Checkout my eBay Store: www.CoinWorldTV.com /// Quality World Coins and Medals Auction listings, starting as low as 99 Cents and Without Reserve! ///
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You might be able to match a photo by searching the Zeno databased, http://search.zeno.ru
By using the extended search, specifying the metal and putting in the appropriate weight and size ranges you can pull up photos of possible matches.
Your coin is in decent legible shape, so I think your chances of finding a match are very good. Good luck!
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
21508 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Sorry I'm not very good with these, hopefully one of the others will be able to ID it for you.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2727 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both sides of the coin have inscriptions from the Koran honoring God and Muhammad. The obverse should have a year on it (in AH) so if you find someone who can read Arabic they can tell you the exact caliph.

Are you sure its copper and not just darkly toned? The inscriptions seem similar to those of a dirham, not the more crudely struck fals.
ANA Member #3190016
Edited by Matt2727
02/12/2018 9:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2727 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Inscriptions seem similar.
ANA Member #3190016
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2727 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, to answer your original question, yes it is indeed of the Umayyad Caliphate.
ANA Member #3190016
Italy
2 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add opeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all, I wish to thank you all for your helpfullness. I read arabic but I'm just used to printed text, so it's really difficult to me to decipher these inscriptions. By comparison with the fals kept at Zeno Database (I'm pretty sure that's copper) I tried to decipher it. I hope it's not just a bunch of wishful suppositions, and I'll be very glad if someone more expert than me and/or an Arabic mother tongue speaker could help.

The reverse should say
"La Illah Illa
Allah wahdahu
la sharikahu"
which means "There is no god but Allah, alone, without partner", pretty commonly found in different Umayyad and Abbasid fals.
The obverse should say:
"Mimma amara bihi(?)
al-Mahdi Muhammad
Amir al-mu'minin
billah(?)"
Which means "By what was ordered by al-Mahdi Muhammad, commander of the faithful, by God". I'm not really sure about this interpretation. For a comparison, this face looks similar to the obverse of this coin https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=50109
I can't see a date or mint (maybe it was on the circular margin, which seems to be worn) but, if my interpretation is right, it should have been struck during the caliphate of al-Mahdi (775-785). Thanks a lot! Waiting for some feedback in this fun quest!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05