Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Prices for detailed coins ?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8476 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  08:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been thinking about this a lot lately . Who determines the prices for detail coins ? Dealers , collectors ,TPG'ers , or ? I'm thinking it's all up to the individual who is selling the piece in question .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  08:57 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its very hard to put a price on a details coin. It depends how bad the damage is. I saw some Unc details Draped bust halves that were so polished up, I would rather have a clean VF than that coin, so I priced Unc details as VF. There are some AT or Questionable Tonings that I would only drop half a grade. A rim ding, maybe a full grade. Unless you see a lot of them and are comfortable discounting them appropriately, I'd stay away.

As for who, its a market decision. My thought process might be one that some use. Ask yourself how low a grade you would take in a problem free coin instead of the coin offered if you had a choice of either. The price of the problem free coin is your price.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Edited by Andrew99
02/12/2018 09:04 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14200 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who decides? The person buying it. He decides what he is willing to pay for it. If a seller asks a higher price but can't find anyone willing to pay that for it, it isn't worth that much. When he drops the price to a point where a buyer decides he is willing to pay that much for it, the price is established, but it is the buyer that makes the choice.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who determines the prices for detail coins
The price is determined when the seller and buyer agree on the price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who decides? The person buying it.

Quote:
The price is determined when the seller and buyer agree on the price.

file me under non-answer answers.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How so? You said it was a market decision. This is how the market works.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15668 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no other true answer other than the price sold for. However, that is equally true for non-detail coins.

I harp constantly on: Technical Grade + Eye Appeal = Value.

What causes details is part of the eye appeal. You might have two Classic Head Large Cent of the same date & variety both with grades of VF, details, cleaned.

One of the two is a brillo pad job. The other is a nicely retoned example that might have had a nearly imperceptible dip some time ago.

Obviously those two are not going to be equally enjoyable purchases nor should they garner the same price.

But all the attempts to rationalize your purchases with some quantifiable system that will determine your prices paid is nothing more than a very broad estimation at best.

Pick any commonly sold frequently collected coins. Here are a few: An 1881-S Morgan, MS-66 PL, an 1893 Isabella quarter in 65, and a 1909-S VDB in 64 RB.

Don't bother with thinking PCGS or NGC will be higher priced than the other. It might have been true years ago. It's not true now.

Go to Heritage and see what those coins sell for. You will see that the exact "same" coin in the same grade sold in the same year may have several HUNDREDS of percent differences. At the very least, almost any coin chosen will have a 200% difference, based on the accuracy of the Technical grade and the eye appeal.

While at Heritage notice that their is ten different prices for the coin presented from ten different expert sources.

If you want to know the right price you need to do the work of seeing what the coin has sold for, then view the coins for eye appeal.

You're not going to find one absolute price for ANY coin, unless you do the work of determining that number.
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said, Mox.

That was much better than my non-answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1387 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously the price agreed is what it is worth, but the OP is clearly trying to determine some sort of logic around it. I at least attempted to convey my way of thinking about it, as empirical and inaccurate as it may be.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'Detailed' coins always present a value problem, slabbed or not.

Revised value mainly depends on two factors:
1. to the extent that the 'details' has affected the appearance of the coin, and
2. how much in the mind of an intending buyer, given the extent the which the 'details' has affected to coin, would that buyer be prepared to pay?

Probably helps to explain why lots of collectors prefer straight graded coins without problems.

For me, I will always consider a 'details' coin, but it may require a lot more thought, before making a decision to buy, at a price level that I am prepared to pay.
There may be a bargain on offer, so my tendered price is usually much lower.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4972 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins in a Details holder can vary greatly in eye appeal. A coin that has been lightly cleaned, for example, may still have good eye appeal and would be worth more than a similar coin that has been harshly cleaned with not good eye appeal but still received the exact same grade. The price is the price you want to pay. It all depends on eye appeal. There is no set chart or formula that will be accurate 100% of the time.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Obviously the price agreed is what it is worth, but the OP is clearly trying to determine some sort of logic around it. I at least attempted to convey my way of thinking about it, as empirical and inaccurate as it may be.
Fair enough.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, dealers that are more practical (who want to move the stuff rather than sit on it for years) would typically ask prices for 1/2 grade lower for minor problems to 2 grades for major problems, or say 20-80% off the book value. This is just to get a ballpark.

If a coin is badly damaged, like a mangled or holed coin, you get down to bullion value or junk bin prices.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05