Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

March 2018 RCM Releases  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
6355 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday, I browsed the popular marketplace and in parallel saw the post on other forum, so decided to bring the info here.

Sharing some of the thoughts as well, so it will not be copy/paste.

And , all the credits to known seller, who continuously ,as one of the first, posting the images (for viewing and purchasing if interested).

**2018 Venetian Murano Glass Little Creatures Monarch Caterpillar (1oz Silver)
We might say that "the series is dead", referring to it's re-saleability and holding value, but the design of this coin and the chosen colors are very good, reminds the popular Bumble Bee or Butterfly. Very nice and very alive-like.

**2018 The Loon Colourized Proof Coin (1/2 OZ Silver)
The image of the Loon is well known and the same as in the 2017 12-coin set. In overall coin reminds "the next one in the 3-coin Duck set". Down for RCM, imo.

**2018 The Wolf Geometry in Art Proof Coin (1 OZ Silver)
Looks like first coin in new "Geometry in Art" series.
"Use your illusions II" for those who remember.
Design is interesting. It doesn't have exactly the same concept as the previous coins. Reminds me some of the artworks of M.C. Escher.
Not bad at all. Just don't expect it will be popular and keep it's value.

**2018 Nocturnal by Nature - The Wolf - Rhodium Plated Pure Silver (1oz)
Repeating cliche. But done well and will be popular.
Personally, these type of coins always remind me stories of Ernest Thompson Seton. So, thank you, RCM for flashbacks from the childhood. Somehow I suspect, that influenced by these stories, initially I decided to collect the coins with the wildlife.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6355 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New item, probably subscription.

Super-A one

"The Legacy of the Dime"

as per images, the structure of the set reminds "The Legacy of the Penny", but with yellow gold, not pink.

[will be interesting to see, how people will start load these, and the count on the RCM site will decrease till complete soldout]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3827 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The set appears to be packaged just like the Legacy of the Penny set. The Penny set was sold as a single unit (vs. subscription) but did offer payment plans.

I don't understand why two of the dimes are larger than the other three. Haven't Canada's dime always been 18.03mm? According to my Charlton, they've been that diameter since 1870. What am I missing? The RCM's justification for the size differential will be interesting.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6355 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't understand why two of the dimes are larger than the other three. Haven't Canada's dime always been 18.03mm? According to my Charlton, they've been that diameter since 1870. What am I missing? The RCM's justification for the size differential will be interesting.

This is so right, Commems
And yes, I forgot - the Tribute to Penny was a single item, not subscription.

I don't want to check and compare now the specs of the sets, but looks to me , that for the "Dime" set, the mint just reused the planchets from the "Penny" set.

I think, this not clever.
And "Tribute to Nickel" was different, all coins are 1oz, without any symbolic difference between small silver, tombac or nickel 5c coins...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2443 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So with the legacy of the dime, what is next? We already have legacy of the Penny and the Nickel. I guess the next is the legacy of the quarter, given we have retro coins through the MC Exclusives with the silver dollar and 50 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1166 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2nd Yin and Yang coin picture, and availability up on the mint's website - $164.95 Release date: 2018/04/03.

Here is the first one... the new one will have a dark (black) background and more colour contrast
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1470 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redzapsid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No big hypes this month?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6355 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2018  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No big hypes this month?

I can start by mentioning, that the new Venetian Glass coin, aka "Caterpillar" has a mintage 5000 only worldwide.

Glass Lady Bug "killer"? That's why CA tried to get rid of them for CAD 800+
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6355 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New item, "stealth release" (as people say), by RCM:

2 oz Pure Silver Coin and Bronze Medallion set
100-th Anniversary of the Canadian National Institute For The Blind

Mintage: 3000 sets Worldwide. Very limited edition.

Serious theme for serious collector.
But would be serious collector ready to pay CAD 219.95? Really overpriced.

From the positive side:
the design and artwork are done with the thought.
The bottom part of the coin and medallion, is the reflection of the top part. But the top has detailed relief, while the bottom almost flat, representing the way, how see the world people with reduced vision ability.
Valued Member
Canada
317 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a bad design, but the price is way over for what I would pay for it. One of the reasons that the RCM is hurting.
Valued Member
Canada
311 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2018  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Proof Nut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received an email regarding the CNIB release then later read a local news report on it which nearly made my jaw drop.

Initially shocked to read
Quote:
Mint collectibles are usually encapsulated to maintain their pristine condition.
But this set is presented without a capsule so that a braille engraving of the legend “CNIB-100-INCA” as well as the relief of its design can be experienced through touch alone.

Thankfully the RCM announcement specifies that only the medallion is without the capsule. Nice design and low mintage but still pricey.
Edited by Proof Nut
03/22/2018 8:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6355 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thankfully the RCM announcement specifies that only the medallion is without the capsule.

Hmmm. Really creative idea.
But I would prefer the medallion encapsulated, and same design and relief bronze bar added to the set for "touch" purposes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05