Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Restoration Attempt. How Did I Do?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  10:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I picked up a nearly completed Whitman album of Franklin halves for dirt cheap from one of my pawn shop sources a couple weeks ago.

This one in particularly was in rough shape. I didn't use any abrasive chemicals. Just acetone and a tooth pic. How do you think I did?

Before:

After:

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly looks better, but probably didn't change the value much... since it looks like crud rather than corrosion, maybe an overnight soak in distilled water?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I was debating a water soak or olive oil. There were a couple more coins in this album that had that red crusty stuff on them. Almost looks like old, dried blood. Yuck, right? I paid $3.75 each for these coins so I'm not concerned about value. I just thought it would be a good set to explore the wild world of coin restoration with.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should note that I soaked it in acetone for a couple days before I went at it with a tooth pick.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right, it does look like blood! No wonder they were cheap.

Anyway, I have never soaked a coin in olive oil, but that may be a good candidate for a test. Your acetone/toothpick results are noticeable, for sure, but I don't think the eye appeal was raised much.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, acetone and possibly xylene may work on the brownish spots, but see the dark black spots on the cheek and by the lips didn't change at all. That means the culprit isn't organic, acetone or plain water won't work. Those areas I treat with a tarnish remover on a q-tip, not soaking the coin entirely. Wet the tip and press/dab or maybe roll the tip over the area. I see three other spots that may need that also, the left bell hole, the eagle's left wing and the obverse field at 10 o'clock.
Edited by Crazyb0
03/10/2018 11:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tip, Butch! I'll give it a shot. I did try the q-tip rollover trick with acetone after I went at it with a tooth pick but I didn't get any results. Guess it's time for harsher chemicals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried the water soak last night and results were spectacular.

I put the coin in a bowl and let the tap water get as hot as it could. I put the bowl under the water flow to fill the bowl. The results were almost instantaneous but I let it soak overnight.

It's hard to believe it's the same coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4038 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Amazing.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11618 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok guys , thanks to Mikes experiment all we have to do with our dirty crusty coins is throw them in boiling water .

Nice outcome !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15838 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on what the crust is. In this case it was something that was either water-soluble or softened due to the heat.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In this case it was something that was either water-soluble or softened due to the heat.

I did this before with a bunch of gunky change from my old truck. The coins were plastered with sticky crud, coffee and whatever other crap and drinks that spilled on them over the years. When I sold my truck I had to scoop the change out from the middle console. At the time I just wanted them to be presentable for deposit at my bank. So I boiled them in vinegar and salt which did the trick but turned all the coins yellow.

So my guess on this coin would be that it is was either coffee, soft drinks or blood that crusted this coin over. I'm thinking it was the heat that did the trick. Almost immediately, when I looked at the coin in the bowl, I thought I made a mistake and put the wrong coin in. The gunk was removed that quickly.
Edited by MikeF
03/11/2018 11:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice restoration!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great restoration!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3481 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2018  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic results!
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05