Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1995 LMC Spike Head with Retained Interior Die Break

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
928 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:16 pm Show Profile   Check still lookin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just looking through 1995 cents tonight and ran into the below coin. The die crack runs all the way down to Lincoln's lips. Just sharing.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6485 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that is cool - looks like the one posted by"Errers and Varietys" yesterday
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Edited by Mark1959
03/20/2018 8:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. Good pics.

Poor Mr. Lincoln.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3559 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NICE die crack.
My best guess would be to call the piece in the middle a "retained inclusion".
But strictly a guess.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an awesome coin! Not convinced about it being a RIDB, that would have to show either horizontal or vertical movement to prove it's actually a break. It is an an awesome coin though.
Edited by CoinMasters
03/21/2018 11:39 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12074 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find! It looks very similar to my example that I posted yesterday.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check still lookin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die break in the middle is raised above the level of the hair.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell from your top view pic that there is no horizontal movement. If you can post a semi-side side view pic we could check a little closer for vertical movement, but I'm fairly sure it would be apparent in the pic already supplied. It's all uneven surfaces in that area even on a normal coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check still lookin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can clearly tell by looking at it through a stereo microscope that the area is raised as stated before. If it is not raised then why does the top edge reflect light and bottom create a shadow?

Pillar of the Community
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jay4202472000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
5964 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinMasters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, it looks raised. That photo shows it much better.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05