Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Back at the sorting process  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A little over a month ago I took a little break from sorting out my coins after I got them all sorted by year, except for small dollars, I have been searching a few rolls of them. This week I started sorting my pennies by mint mark, and taking inventory. I finished the Indian head pennies on Thursday, and have been working on my wheat cents since Fri. So far I have inventoried 6075 pennies, 108 IHC and 5967 LWC. My biggest surprise in all of this is how few Denver mints I have. My 1944 pennies for example, 211 philly, 204 "S", and only 23 "D". My 1950 pennies were pretty evenly matched out, but still had more "s" mints, for example 1951's were 66 philly, 67 "D", and 92 "S". Will probably take another week off before I start on the LMC, my eyes need a rest.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7570 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up where you are at, that sound quite right for that area. You would think you'd have more Denver mints, but it really isn't unusual. You live in the West coast federal distribution region. The way the federal reserve has distributed the coinage from their Mints to the Federal Banks who send it out initially. Denver sent stuff SW, South and Midwest. Philly, which always had the largest facilities would help out in quantity the San Fransisco mint, Denver Held it's own. You find today, that the areas around the country have different mixes. I used to purchase bulk wheat cents by the thousands. I found sources all over strictly for the purpose of gaining that better mix overall. That was how I could guaranty a mix of specific dates/mintmarks with 20% being in the 10's-30's(most bulk orders have less than 9%)
“I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
James Madison
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14259 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the major upgrades a collector can accomplish is there inventory.

Then you know what you have and what you need. Best of luck with your eyes.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Up where you are at, that sound quite right for that area.

Most of these are actually coins that I have been hoarding from the different locations I have lived 50 + years. MT,TX,MO,GA,KS,AZ,MN,CA,& Korea (Korean Coin/Currency Collection, small as it is) I haven't touched my collection in over 20 years and decided to inventory it. I started this project back in November and will probably working on it off and on for the next 2 years. Once I am done, I will figure out what to dump and what I need to get. And of course, the starter sets for my nephews and nieces.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05