Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Lincoln cent possible die crack on Reverse?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SlavThatSquats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all!

I found this cent that I thought looked nice, but after I looked at it closer, I noticed something odd on the reverse, just by the lower left edge of the Lincoln Memorial building. It looks maybe like a die crack? I really don't know too much about error coins, so I could be wrong. I was wondering what you all thought.

I am sorry for the low quality of the pictures. All I really have to get a picture that magnified is my phone camera and a magnifying glass. If needed, I will try to get better quality pictures.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6460 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it to me!

The corners of the Memorial are prime places for die cracks to develop due to increased (concentrated) stress from metal flow during striking.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
04/15/2018 10:25 pm
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a die crack alright. It doesn't add a premium to the coin. Most of the die cracks on the Memorial penny ( LMC) are found in those areas around the memorial. It's very common on that penny design. If you come across any severe cracks, or breaks such as cuds which happen on the edges of coins, this can be worth more just depending on severity and/or location. A cool one to look for on pennies is the "spike head"Lincoln in which a crack runs from the edge of the coin into Lincoln's head. Good eye though and keep on the lookout. You never know what you'll find. There is always a first
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SlavThatSquats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your quick replies!

I am quite happy I found it, and I'm definitely going to keep it. I found it while trying out coin roll hunting with a few rolls, so maybe I should continue.

I have heard of the spike heads. I even went through all of my copper memorial cents looking for one! There was nothing, but I'll keep on looking.

Again, thank you all! I greatly appreciate it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6460 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you don't know of it, http://cuds-on-coins.com is a great resource and has a catalog of Spike Heads (SKH). In case you find one, you can put a number to it or perhaps get a new listing if it can't be matched.

They don't catalogue small die cracks or chips, though.
"When you make the finding yourself - even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light - you'll never forget it."
-Carl Sagan

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21974 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI: The date in your title does not match the coin pictured.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14323 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Eyes. Although die cracks and chips are the most common errors finding them proves you are diligently searching.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24519 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking!

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05