Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Coin. Thoughts?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  04:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinCrazy91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys

So I found this coin in a box with quite a few other old coins, a good few 1940's halfpennies, Farthings etc. But this one really stood out. I don't know if it's genuine but sure looks it. From the research I've conducted it appears to be what's known as a cartwheel, and the cost of production was equal to the price of the coin.

They were made out of copper and were considered quite chunky for a circulated coin at that time. A few that I've seen online are dated 1797, the date I think they started producing them, but they don't have the other design like I have on mine. Probably to do with it being an 1813 coin. I'm not sure if it's genuine, any thoughts on it?

Cheers guys
Chris
Edited by CoinCrazy91
04/16/2018 04:24 am
Valued Member
Australia
183 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i believe I have see that crest Isle man I think for Britian, with a quick google search (triskelion). I have found this is indeed a island of man coin no reference to mintage or value, however did find but some site say 50-60 usd. Nice find Thumbs up
Valued Member
Australia
183 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i dont think it is fake, since its value isn't that high, and wasn't high in the past so I doubt its not going to be real.
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  05:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCrazy91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ryurazu

Nice :) I'll be holding on to it and will just add it to the collection. I'm interested in its history more than the value anyways but thank you for researching it more and helping me out, I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Valued Member
United Kingdom
438 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi.

That is a genuine coin. It is an 1813 Isle of Man halfpenny, made by Matthew Boulton at the Soho Mint, Birmingham. Engraver Conrad Heinrich Kuchler. The style follows the English cartwheel coins of 1797.

The motto on the reverse is QVOCVNQVE JECERIS STABIT. ( The V counts as a "U" ). This roughly translates as "whichever way you throw it, it will stand", referring to the three-legged "Triskele", which is a symbol of the island. This symbol also appears on some ancient Greek coins. One reference I have suggests it is derived from the three-spoked wheel of the chariot of the sun god.

Pennies and halfpennies of this design were minted only in 1798 and 1813. You can tell this is a halfpenny from the photo because one foot is pointing at the last V in QVOCVNQVE. In the penny, the foot points after the end of the word. Size and weight also give it away, but cannot be determined from the photo.

I dont have mintages. If anyone has these I would be interested.

Spinks catalogue of 2015 lists your coin in Fine condition as £10. This is of course dated and only an estimate, but it gives you a rough idea.
Edited by Anaximander
04/16/2018 09:53 am
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCrazy91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Anaximander

Wow! Thanks! That was a lot of really in-depth knowledge on this coin, I really appreciate it. Again, thank you so much.

Cheers
Learn More...
Australia
12879 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the NGC database entry for this coin. The mintage is not recorded; I am guessing this is because the only figure recorded by the mint was a total face value produced, and the breakdown between pennies and halfpennies is unknown.

A little aside about Manx copper coinage. In the 1600s, the Manx government noticed that silver was draining from the island faster than it could be imported. So, the island's government placed a tariff on silver coins, increased the face value of all British silver coins circulating there: a shilling was to be worth 14 pence on the island, rather than the usual 12.

With increasing tourism and trade, however, the Manx government soon found it had the opposite problem: people were exporting Manx copper coinage, taking them back to mainland Britain and passing them off as British coins, for a 2-pence-per-shilling profit. So by 1840, the Manx government was forced to give up on having its own coinage, and used British coins instead. No further Manx coins were issued until after Britain went decimal in 1971.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United Kingdom
438 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Additional to the above:

When it was announced that shillings would revert to 12d, there were disturbances which were quelled by the militia ( sort of equivalent to modern US national guard ). The last Manx coins before modern times were issued in 1839, a penny, halfpenny, and farthing. They are lovely coins and worth seeking out.
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2018  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCrazy91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your wisdom, it's really interesting! I only started coin collecting about 3 months ago, and when you find an old box with old coins, it's quite the adrenaline rush.

Thank you all!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05