Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889 & 1890 Morgan Silver Dollar Coins - What determines value the most ?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coiny2k18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys new here. So my brother and his girlfriend have acquired a small coin collection, he let me take a look at it the other day, and a couple coins caught my attention one because they looked in such good condition but also because of their age. They were a 1889 and 1890 silver dollar. When I was a kid I dabbled in coin collecting but I really don't have a clue about the matter, aside from little bit of online research.

So these coins are fully sealed in a case and I couldn't see the backs of them, which my understanding is very important for these coins if nothing else for the mint markers. I don't think they wanted to take them out but later when I told them these coins in-particular the 1889 could potentially be very valuable that changed things. When they are available again I'm going to take pictures of these coins and un-case them so I can evaluate them more. But until I can do that I thought I would ask some experts on the matter about what to look for to determine the value?

From what I been reading the condition is very important of these coins it's hard for me as a novice on the matter to really say how "good" they looked to me but by looking at these pictures on the grading site here https://www.PCGS.com/grades the coins from what I remember looked at least like the PR-66 grade. But also like I said I know the mint mark plays a huge role in value with the CC carson city mark being the best. I here about proof versions being valuable too but how much ? And how can I determine if either of them are proofs ? I know more modern proofs kind of have that high contrast effect on them. Also I know there is a rare "bar" error mark on some that is valuable like beneath the eagles bottom left side of the coin.

Anyhow any help on figuring out better what to look for on rarity/value for those years of the coin would be helpful. I'll post pictures of them when I can today or tom.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures please!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23000 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Your first step is to post photos of the coins in question. PR-66 is highly unlikely,that is why we need pics.
1889-P PR-66 $9,000
1890-P PR-66 $9,200
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
57950 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15527 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
1253 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coiny2k18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I got some pictures today. I don't think his girlfriend wanted to take them fully out unless she had to of the smaller case they were in that her dad originally put them in. So on the face side of the coins there is a small sheet of glass and all the coins are also stapled in those usual plastic wrap cases so sorry for that quality issues in the pictures.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coiny2k18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
23000 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no pro, but neither look like proofs to me. Not good at grading either,a guess would be MS-64.1889 $76 and 1890 $125
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
04/18/2018 12:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14047 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not proofs, without seeing them in hand I can't tell if they are AU or mint state, but I would think they were going to run somewhere between AU 55 and MS 63. That would give them a RETAIL value somewhere between $42 and $75.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05