Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfiet 1880 Morgan  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willyp87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I just received the coin today from an eBay auction. The apperance is great but it only weighs 19.53g. So did I get ripped off?
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willyp87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6090 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I just received the coin today from an eBay auction

What coin?

Oh, there it is - looks strange
My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my coins for what I told her I paid for them.

Working on Whitman Large Cent date set album 1793-1857 (57 holes filled of 64 total) now come the "toughies" - yikes!
Edited by Mark1959
04/16/2018 4:22 pm
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willyp87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1601 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel you have been ripped off. It’s a full 7 grams underweight and it has the look of “fake oldness”.
If my metal detector detects a metal medal, does it not, at that point, become not only a metal detector, but a medal detector and a metal medal detector as well?
Pillar of the Community
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that's a fake. Weight is far off from what a normal one should weigh (26.73 grams) and the surfaces have a very weird appearance and color (rather typical for this type of fake).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2066 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send it back and get a refund.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15494 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoolihan lips for sure. Ask before you buy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2004 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is fake, the weight confirms it, but the appearance is all fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1652 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how much did you pay for it?
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely looks counterfeit. I've been stuck with a few 90% silver counterfeits over the years that I bought for melt value. Is there a market for 90% counterfeits? I remember seeing boxes of counterfeit coins (almost every denomination) for sale at dealer tables many years ago. Each coin was clearly marked counterfeit and priced accordingly. To me they are "junk silver" and basically have melt value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4207 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one in the photo is most likely not a silver counterfeit. It's most likely some cheap magnetic metal.

Hopefully you didn't pay much for that fake.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked the accuracy of your scale by measuring 4 or 5 quarters (new quarters)? They should weigh 5.67 grams each. This would be a good test since it would range above and below the expected weight for s silver dollar.

4 quarters = 4 x 5.67 grams = 22.68 grams
5 quarters = 5 x 5.67 grams = 28.35 grams

Most fakes are closer in weight.
Edited by jmwilson
04/17/2018 11:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7489 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a market for 90% counterfeits?

They will always be worth the silver value. I also know that there is a small market for contemporary counterfeits, but most of those weren't made of any silver.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cableguy815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you checked the accuracy of your scale by measuring 4 or 5 quarters

Haha. His scale has to be pretty bad to be off 7g. In all seriousness though, there is no need to check anything. The seams on the coin's collar should really be enough to end all doubts about the coins authenticity.

Nothing better than a fresh World Crown arriving in the mail after a long and tiring day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1310 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has a weird grey look to it. No Morgan will look like that, no matter how circulated it is. A definite fake for sure. Sorry.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05