Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 cc Morgan Dollar  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  9:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Janiern5555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My 2nd post, after I received such expert comments from my first. This is one of my Dad's collection I inherited, and I took this one to a coin dealer. He didn't know what happen to it, or why it has what looks like another wing of the eagle on reverse, but doesn't explain the extra marking on the front under her neck. Coin dealer offered to buy it, said whatever happen happen at the mint.

Hoping to solve this mystery of this coin. It's old, and worn, yet my 2ND favorite due to the date and mm.

Edited by Janiern5555
05/09/2018 9:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4170 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like PMD (post mint damage) to me. A nice CC mint Morgan dollar, however.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7336 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between the stars and neck/jaw on the obverse looks like an old fingerprint to me. I'm not sure about the reverse without a closeup of the area in question.
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely PMD, but great CC Morgan dollar!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14025 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't see anything that looks like a third wing on the reverse, there might be a weak die crack from the neck to the rim between the date and first star, but mostly what I see are fingerprints.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinAdvocate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the others, this appears to be PMD. Also,
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin, but I agree, someone with oily fingers handled that coin in the past..
Welcome...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
United States
1114 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also believe what you’re seeing on both sides of the coin is just old fingerprints.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26570 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like a fingerprint, but seems odd that a fingerprint would still show at this level of wear.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
06/10/2018 1:29 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05