Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I need help to confirm if this is a 1999 D DDO Connecticut Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
64 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  08:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lmhatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. My name is Linda and I am new to coin collecting as well as participating in a forum. I need help in confirming if my quarter is a double die. Seems that the more I read, the more I get confused. I feel pretty good about this find but I still seek confirmation.

I hope the pboto is clear enough... please take a look at the nose of Washington. It appears to be doubled. It may even be tripled. Ive been getting confused with the Machine Doubling vs. doubling in the "hub"....Any response would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6169 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The photos are not clear enough to see any doubling on the coin. Please post some clear pictures.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24027 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF Linda. More clear and less light glare please.Also,a full coin pic.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
61405 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32219 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting is hiding (creating glare) what you wish to show. But I feel I see what you are looking at. It is called Machine Doubling. This happens after a normal strike, the dies move a bit altering the device with a bit of damage. You are looking at an area that has reduction of the nose. It looks like this:

The nose is normal sized, but reduced by damage. We just use the initials MD for this. On the States series quarters the obverse doubled dies are usually on the earlobes. There is only one nice doubled die for the obverse and that one is on a proof obverse.
http://doubleddie.com/186364.html
Note on this link, it shows the doubled earlobes, down a few dies, (scrolling down) you will find the nicest DDO for the series. All the rest of the DDO (doubled-die-obverse) are only on the earlobe. Hope this helps?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmhatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone for responding. I will try to take a few more pictures when I get home tonight but I believe I got the answer I was looking for. I have a few more coins at home that I will upload as well. I have a few pennies that looked doubled but I believe those will probably be Machine Doubling as well but I would appreciate the confirmation once again.

If I can figure out the "posting" process I believe I am really going to enjoy this community forum. Thanks to all for making this a pleasurable experience for me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32219 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mentioned a Very large DDO Proof Cent. I couldn't find an example, but I put several pictures together to show how strong it is. These images are from John Wexler it is a PA proof quarter WDDO-001

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/15/2018 10:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lmhatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After trying many different ways to take a picture of this quarter...I see how lighting make a huge difference in whats being displayed. I cant seem to get good quality pictures but settled on these. Now, I dont see it as an error coin but the nose and line on the forehead still make me look twice.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to help me figure out what I have. Soon, I will be posting some pennies that I think may be double dies and I hope someone will confirm it.

Have a great day.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05