Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A "Hammered" Trajan ?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  09:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this coin that looks like it was struck with a hammer on the left side. No detail at all on the reverse. I can make out the letters PMTRPC, and I'm thinking Trajan, though those letters apparently are also on Titus. I think the bust looks more like Trajan. Your thoughts? And thanks for all the great info on this site!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4684 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trajan would be more likely; it's a little hard to make out the bust in the picture. Can you get straight-on images in natural sunlight?

The part of the legend is visible is present on many imperial coins until about the 250s. They are:

PM = Pontifex Maximus (chief priest of the Roman religion)

TR P = Tribunicia Potestas (Tribune Power, being personally inviolable while in office. Renewed annually on December 20; in effect used to count regnal years)

C would be for COS, Consul. A powerful position within the Senate, but not one that the Emperor would always fill.

By the designs of Augustus, there was no "emperor" but rather a single individual who could occupy several important Republican offices to maintain power for life. This became of increasingly lesser importance, and was rarely put on coinage after the fall of the Severans in 238. Diocletian formally ended the Principate in the 280s, and established the position of a bona fide Emperor.
Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn: Thanks for all the info. I have a lot to learn!
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any guess as to why a coin would receive a strong hammer blow like that? It doesn't appear to be a counter strike.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1332 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would qualify as a “countersmash”.
Learn More...
United States
21111 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a clearer picture?
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll see if I can get a clearer pic with my older iPhone -- only camera I have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2749 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Helpful hint
If you place the coin down on a dark surface the camera will be unable to focus on anything but the coin you are trying to image.

It will also do away with your thumb !

Even a dark pair of blue jeans will work
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
05/15/2018 3:30 pm
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the hint. I tried holding the coin because I never got good results taking photos on the kitchen counter. Which is WHITE! I'll try the dark background and repost.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gtkwml to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, no luck. Maybe my old iPhone 5 isn't up to it.
Valued Member
242 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of my pictures are with an Iphone 5...
Taken on my kitchen table..

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14173 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that this hammer blow may be as old as the coin itself.
Silver denarius images 1. and 3. look a bit 'iffy' to me, style of Aurelius' face looks a bit 'off'.
Valued Member
242 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Silver denarius images 1. and 3. look a bit 'iffy' to me, style of Aurelius' face looks a bit 'off'.

A few more pictures..

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14173 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the larger images.
I have been too hasty.
I have had a serious look at other images of M.Aurelius denarii on Google Images,
and have had to re consider.

Looks to be a rather nice example of
C.30, R.I.C. 2, B.M.C. 1
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05