Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1929 $10 Painted Post, NY, The First NB, Serial Number 1

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Check out this beauty.
Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2311 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:25 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Iíve never seen a number 1 on any bill. Awesome!
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
1430 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome $10 serial #1 Shotgung.

Excellent grade on this Steuben County note that sold (ungraded) some 15 years ago for over $3K.

Paper Money Magazine (SPMC) has an interesting article in the latest edition about George Blake. Seems like George had a voracious appetite for serial #1 notes, and solicited bank officials across the country asking them to sell him their serial #1 sheets. Thereís a good chance George Blake might have once owned this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bill isn't mine and it's still on auction but I don't really have the extra grand to drop on it. Cool bill though. I'll have to check that article out too
Pillar of the Community
United States
572 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice note for sure - according to Kelly, all 6 $10 serial number 1 notes for this bank were saved in CU condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, so that's one of six huh? Probably go for a bit I'm sure
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kelly census also lists the number 1 sheet for Series 1929 Type 1 $5's. The #1 type 2 is also known for the $10 denomination.

The A position note was sold by Lyn Knight in 2012 for $2,760

The B position note was sold by Lyn back in 2004 for $2,990. In the description it mentioned the note was graded as Gem CU-65 by CGA

The D position note was sold for $2,760 in 2005 by Lyn Knight

Here is an uncut sheet of Type 1 $10's which was how these were shipped to the national banks https://currency.ha.com/itm/nationa...tion-071515#

I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Edited by MeadowviewCollector
05/15/2018 8:21 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MV - Thanks for that, very interesting as always. Always surprises me how much #1 notes bring, even when there are multiple prefixes known as here.

Always raises the classic question: Would you rather own a #1 note on a giant bank where there are few if any others known, or would you rather own a #1 note on a tiny bank where there were a half dozen or more known?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know coinfrog. Can I own both? I think having one of six in the world from a tiny bank would be more meaningful to me than having one from a larger bank.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you insist, OK, you can own both!

To clarify, this is one of six different $10 notes from this bank which all carry the serial number 1 - there are far many more than 6 notes total known for the bank.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/16/2018 12:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it coinfrog. I read a bit about that series so there would be:
A000001A
B000001A
C000001A
D000001A
E000001A
F000001A

Is that right?
Then A000002A and so forth?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct! The OP's note is a Type 1 note - this system changed with the 1929 Type 2 notes, where the only number 1 note would be A000001 for each denomination.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/16/2018 7:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4330 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you rather own a #1 note on a giant bank where there are few if any others known, or would you rather own a #1 note on a tiny bank where there were a half dozen or more known

Tough question. I'd say leaning heavily toward one from from a tiny bank even if there were more known than on a larger bank. My focus has always been on smaller banks.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28267 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That makes sense in this particular case - according to Kelly, there are 13 different serial number 1 notes known for all denominations from this picturesque small bank, but that is just shy of half of all notes recorded!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog, can you link the site Kelly, you are referencing please?
Thanks
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05