Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1912 Newfoundland 20 cent looks frosted  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  8:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a box of foreign coins (to me, I'm in the US) and when going through picking silver found this 1912 Newfoundland 20 cent piece. My question is what is going on with it? It looks frosted. In hand, it looks very similar to the frosted look a reverse proof would have except it covers both sides of the entire coin. I looked at pics online and they don't normally look like this. Any ideas?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14413 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coarse fields indistinct details. From these pictures, can't make up my mind if aggressive environment or fake.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wondered if it was fake too. I did the magnet test as well as checked the weight. My scale was bouncing between 4.7g and 4.8g which according to my web search, it is the correct weight. Sounds like silver when I tap it as well.
Learn More...
Canada
7889 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a coin that had a past, nasty run-in with PVC... which has since been removed, but the damage remains...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7343 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It certainly looks like environmental damage of some sort and PVC is a likely culprit causing micro-pitting of the coin's surface.
Bad puns make me [sic].

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
Canada
480 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely environmental damage.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the responses. It's strange because I've never seen a coin get this kind of look to it that wasn't meant to have a frosted look. That's why I knew I had to ask CCF. I know it is technically a damaged coin, but in hand, I actually kind of like the way it looks. It really does look cool. I know the value is low, but I like it.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sweet_Kenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half the enjoyment of collecting is treating them as distinct pieces of art. I have a few that aren’t the best quality but are very distinct.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05