Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ICCS time to join the 20th century  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3954 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in January at the Fun show there was like a 30 to 45 minute lineup at PCGS for their walk through service and on the other side NGC was about the same wait time but some of the other TPG were basically empty, my guest is most Canadians cost at least 100 bucks to have a coin slabbed by PCGD NGC but if ICCS somehow through a sale or partnership offers a hard slab it would be a small gold mine
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner

Quote:

Why do you need someone else's OK?

Personally, I don't need someone else's OK, I prefer unslabbed as the slab is a barrier to the coin, but part of this discussion is oriented around a perceived malaise in the Canadian coin market and the perception that PCGS/NCG have helped the US market retain buoyancy. With the rampant influx of counterfeit coins and fake slabbing, the protections offered by PCGS/NGC while not perfect, are sufficient for most to reliably understand what you are purchasing. ICCS do not provide sufficient physical protection for heavy coins(soft flips)and insufficient fraud protection as there is no online lookup to verify a given serial #. It is just too easy to fake a ICCS slab.

I also agree that TPG's should be reserved for top end stuff. I roll my eyes when I see VF or XF slabs for fairly common coins.

Clearly there are other factors contributing to the current malaise in the Canadian coin market but TPGs and ICCS are a contributing factor.

I have purchased slabbed coins (ICCS & US TPGs) as part of my education in grading and I still have a tough time differentiating between a 63, 64 and 65. Much of the time it appears to be related to how good a day the grader has had... enough coffee or maybe a fight with their spouse before work... I buy what appeals to me.

Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@doubleeagle59

Quote:

They have their own private insurance and declare '0' for the value.

That covers loss during shipping but it is a risky practice to send high value items across a border with an incorrect valuation. All you need is a zealous customs agent to open a package to confirm contents and you are in trouble as they could claim an intent to smuggle. Unless PCGS/NGC have explicit agreement with the Canada Border Services Agency, this, while no nefarious practice is intended, could be construed as a fraudulent declaration which can result in item seizure and penalties and fines plus the duties and taxes otherwise due. The question is: do PCGS/NGC have an explicit agreement with CBSA?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
702 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As much as I have heard the "buy the coin not the holder" I think it does give some a warm and fuzzy to have a high value or rare coin in a PCGS holder with their opinion. If people did not feel this way there would be no business in grading. Same as comic book and hockey card grading companies.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10465 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Back in January at the Fun show there was like a 30 to 45 minute lineup at PCGS for their walk through service and on the other side NGC was about the same wait time but some of the other TPG were basically empty, my guest is most Canadians cost at least 100 bucks to have a coin slabbed by PCGD NGC but if ICCS somehow through a sale or partnership offers a hard slab it would be a small gold mine

It's only 100ish if you do show grading which is a completely different animal where you're either paying for same day service or like 2 day service so yes they do charge more for that unless you have a super high value coin where the show grading would make more sense

If you just submitted there to be taken back to their center its no where close to that
Edited by basebal21
05/25/2018 01:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10465 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2018  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As much as I have heard the "buy the coin not the holder" I think it does give some a warm and fuzzy to have a high value or rare coin in a PCGS holder with their opinion.

There's a very good reason for that. If you play in the deep end of the numismatic pool the company absolutely matters and the reassurance and certification has a big value.

You would pay a lot less for luxury a car from a guy off the street than one that had been looked over and backed up by a dealership you trust, coins are no different.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
257 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KHatt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Especially if you are buying it over the internet and getting it shipped to you...
Edited by KHatt
05/28/2018 4:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3954 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a Canadian, a PCGS coin would cost at least 30 US dollar with shipping and insurance both ways it will come close to 100 bucks a coin, any time I have used a Canadian PCGS dealer, it costs were well over a hundred bucks.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10465 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2018  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a Canadian, a PCGS coin would cost at least 30 US dollar with shipping and insurance both ways it will come close to 100 bucks a coin, any time I have used a Canadian PCGS dealer, it costs were well over a hundred bucks.

It honestly shouldn't be anywhere close to a 100 bucks a coin even with the currency conversion. It should be like 37 CAD to 53 CAD as long as you aren't using express level or an ultra high value one for the grading without shipping. Even international shipping just shouldn't be adding 40-50 dollars per coin if you're doing a decent sized submission.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2082 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2018  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It honestly shouldn't be anywhere close to a 100 bucks a coin even with the currency conversion. It should be like 37 CAD to 53 CAD as long as you aren't using express level or an ultra high value one for the grading without shipping. Even international shipping just shouldn't be adding 40-50 dollars per coin if you're doing a decent sized submission.

Still, it's 3x to 5x the cost of getting a coin graded at ICCS.
Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizard1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HOWEVER... don't forget that NGC & PCGS requires an annual membership fee. You gotta pay to get your foot in the door before you have the privilege of getting it flattened =D
Edited by Wizard1
05/31/2018 12:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2178 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy ICCS. Still not recognized TPG in the US. Sorry.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10465 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. HOWEVER... don't forget that NGC & PCGS requires an annual membership fee. You gotta pay to get your foot in the door before you have the privilege of getting it flattened =D

That’s honestly not true. If you get the 299 PCGS membership with 8 vouchers and use it at the regular level it saves you money on the first submission. For NGC if you get the 150 you get 150 in credit. So while they may require a “membership” up front right before you submit you don’t actually pay for a membership and in the case of PCGS you save money on the first submission.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2082 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would not buy ICCS. Still not recognized TPG in the US. Sorry.

I agree.

This is the Catch-22 with ICCS.

In the US and Internationally, ICCS has no standing at all.

But, in Canada, it's Number 1.

Go figure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
702 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Check JeyRey2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JeyRey2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just joined PCGS and tell you the membership fee is well worth it. You get online tracking of where your coin is in the process. Some options they photograph your coin and upload it to your account. The online pop report and registry to boot.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05