Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why do so few half cents and large cents survive?  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to send a PM but you need to activate that area on your profile. I wouldn't want to go against forum etiquette and post one or two EAC seller's while leaving out others. I check next time to see if you updated your profile.

KK
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrsFranklin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ken, You can PM me now.
Valued Member
New Zealand
139 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never had a problem locating a copper I've needed in the grade I wanted. Forget the population report garbage and go to your Early American Copper (EAC) dealers.
*** Edited by Staff to add Quote tags. Please use them in the future. ***

For me, the problems arise when I add the third dimension: "at a price I can afford".
EAC #6558
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PM sent

KK
Learn More...
United States
23514 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me, the problems arise when I add the third dimension: "at a price I can afford".

It's always those minor details that get us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can we collect coins when we have to think about money...or a wife's reaction.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14038 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stay single and live a minimalist lifestyle.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF, Sharkman ... Good question!

As a longtime coppers enthusiast, I can say that a great many of them were repurposed. They were frequently counterstamped and used as checks, mementos, business cards, masonic cents, tags ....you name it. Large numbers were stamped by merchants to promote word-of-mouth advertising, as they circulated and passed from one person to another. Many old coppers were used to create tools, often with sharp edges, to cut yarn, string or whatever, make pie crimpers, gears, etc. Some were holed to make hummers (kids' toys) or create lucky pieces for superstitious folks. Early machinists often used copper coins to test or hone their skills.

Once damaged, many coppers were randomly discarded. Of the 1,200 + counterstamps on early coppers in my collection, between 5%-10% appear to have been below or atop the ground at some time or another. Of all U.S. coin types, large cents were by far THE most likely coins to serve as hosts for counterstamps. It's thus reasonable to assume that they were the most likely coins to be discarded, methinks.

Here are some examples of counterstamps and other curious uses of coppper coins ....

Edited by ExoGuy
07/04/2018 5:50 pm
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NLL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know how to get cheap Half Cents and large cents? Just looking for something for a type set. Thanks.
Valued Member
New Zealand
139 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ExoGuy, that's seriously awesome! Both your commentary and the pics! (I'm still trying to wrap my brain around 1,200+...)
EAC #6558
Pillar of the Community
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
ExoGuy, that's seriously awesome! Both your commentary and the pics! (I'm still trying to wrap my brain around 1,200+...)

Thanks for the reply, Aoraki. I'm lacking a 1799 to complete a year set on the large cents. My provision for the set is that each piece must be attributed as to who the stamper was. I've yet to spot a counterstamped 1799 that has been or can be attributed. I've been collecting the counterstamps for about forty years now. the coppers comprise half of the collection which largely predates the Civil War.

From my perspective, it's easy to see how copper coins were serious workhorses during those years; this, having been subjected to all manner of use and abuse. I suspect that this contributed in no small way to their relatively small surviving numbers. A huge portion of counterstamped coins today survive in quantities of fewer than ten pieces recorded. It's been estimated that ten percent of the coins circulating prior to the Civil War were stamed for one reason or another.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3238 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know how to get cheap Half Cents and large cents? Just looking for something for a type set. Thanks.

to the CCF, NLL.

IMHO, your question might better be posed and receive more replies by your starting a new thread. My short answer would be that you attend area shows and coin club meetings.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NLL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ExoGuy.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05