Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaned Coins: How To Detect Them

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PCGS got the 'cleaning' designation correctly notated on both the slab and website of my coin but messed up the grade synchronization by printing F - Details on the slab and XF - Details on the website.

Just for the interested I contacted the TPG today and they confirmed that the web site designation of Cleaning XF - Details was indeed accurate but the physical slab's printing of Cleaning F - Details was an error.

I wonder if I could mark this on EBay as a 'mechanical cleaning error' just for the heck of it and wait see if someone offers me a premium.

Hey, if a coin can have a wrong digit stamped on its field and command a premium, a similar argument could be made for the equipment printing the slab. This is the first one I've ever seen so the population of this error has to be pretty low...

Who knows, someone may want to use this as an example of what to look out for.

Anything for a buck...

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12954 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe if a coin is dipped properly, I won't even know it was dipped, but once luster is removed via dipping too long one time or being dipped several times over a coin's life, then it's in the "overdipped" category and it would seem an MS coin wear-wise should no longer be eligible for MS status via TPGs without that intact/remaining luster.

You are spot on, properly done/well done ones you would never know.

As far as all luster stripped, a coin can still be MS that way but practically speaking at least for PCGS you are right they would likely ding it down to AU

Quote:
Dipping coins, in general, is a very shortsighted practice. It can only be done a limited number of times (maybe even just once or twice) before a coin is irretrievably ruined, and the fresh unpassivated surface it exposes re-tones so quickly a subsequent and destructive dip is needed before long (unless you airtite or lacquer the coin).

That's really not true. Will some retone yes, will some even retone fairly quickly yes, but by no means will they all do that and plenty were dipped decades ago and are still looking great.

There's nothing shortsighted about it. Some coins flat out need to be dipped for conservation, others would be pariahs without it. It's been going on for decades and decades and decades, this isn't a new practice and actually people are more cautious with it now than they were 40 years ago.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know why dipping seems to be so popular but a presumably milder approach may not be widely employed?

There's plenty of them, there's even safer types of dip and using various strengths of it, proprietary chemicals and methods and so on. A lot of the other methods can be confused with dipping

The thing is though you'll never get more than basic information when it comes to conservation and that is one of the reasons why it is so misunderstood. Some people aren't allowed to talk about it from confidentiality agreements, others have figured out how to make the coins look great again and don't want to give away their secrets so that others can make money off of what they figured out.

Aside from basic things or getting a job at a TPG conserving coins most of it will have to be learned through trial and error on low value stuff.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2019  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some coins flat out need to be dipped for conservation, others would be pariahs without it.

I came across this one just today. Looks to me it was cleaned and is starting to retone. Ugly (pariah) toning on obverse (Liberty has a mustache) and reverse retoning looks like it just needs more time.

Edited by one_fine_dime
01/29/2019 08:56 am
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rock on people to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a 1898 dime in the street a couple days ago but didn't know it because it was so corroded. I soaked it in some vegetable oil hoping to loosen all the crap up so I could see what it was. Can you save a coin that is that bad
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3667 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  07:19 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a 1898 dime in the street a couple days ago but didn't know it because it was so corroded.

Can you post some pics?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16343 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally speaking,
a lack of luster on higher graded coins that should otherwise have obvious luster, is an usually (but not always), an indicator that it may have been cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found a 1898 dime in the street a couple days ago but didn't know it because it was so corroded. I soaked it in some vegetable oil hoping to loosen all the crap up so I could see what it was. Can you save a coin that is that bad

Start a new topic in the appropriate sub-forum and include some pictures, and we can help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
rock on people
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05