Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2004-D Jefferson Shaking Hands Nickel, From A Convenience Store

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2018  10:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hwy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Guys, please grade this nickel that pretty much fell from the sky. Thanks

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beauty to find in circulation. Please, get the Jefferson into a 2x2 right away, like before you have your morning coffee! Need a closeup of Jefferson's cheek just in front of the ear, and of the jaw bone. Your nice photos show small nick in the field just above the cuff on the right hand, and another nick in the field just below the fingers of the right hand. MS67 or MS68?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3434 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to learn about the different types of doubling. I see different things on different areas of the coin. Looking forward to what the experts have to say.

Edit: Is that doubling I see or just the reflective nature of the photo?
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
05/31/2018 11:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36491 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8679 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2018  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks about MS-64 or 65.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Psilocybe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry for the late response, but where would I find more information about this variety, if there are more than have been found, etc? I have tried looking it up in numerous registries to no avail. Am I missing a critical resource?

I seem to have a similar specimen, after discounting hundreds of other years/varieties to Machine Doubling or die deterioration by reviewing posts. I would like to make sure before I post and look like I haven't done any research.
Edited by Psilocybe
05/16/2019 11:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36491 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way -

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to see a few more angles of the darkened cheek/jaw area before I make a determination of it being MS, what I've seen in these pics so far are pretty but if those areas have seen enough rub that the luster is gone in that area, it would fall into low MS - AU, even if the rest of it is immaculate.... that cheek and jaw area really draws the eye there, and I'm not sure if thats lighting and shadows, or a lack of luster in that area doing it.

I'm no professional grader by the way, just putting that out there, I'm not. It's just my opinion from looking at a whole lot of coins and figuring it out. If that's marks or a lack of luster from rub, it would be a huge hit to the grade because it's in the main focal point of the Obverse, front and center. Maybe Up as high as MS60, MS62 if that cheek is how it appears in the picture in my opinion, or down in the AU58 depending on how the graders feel about it from their view of it. Sure looks like it interrupts the luster cartwheel in this picture.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05