Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Non-Cameo Modern Proof Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  2:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This may be a dumb question, but this forum seems like the right place to ask it...

I was looking through the PCGS Value Guide for America the Beautiful Quarters (https://www.PCGS.com/prices/pricegu...ul+quarters) and noticed that there are some non-cameo quarters that sell at PR-70 for less than their PR-70 DCAM counterparts. For example, the 2010-S Yosemite and Yellowstone quarters are both rated at $20 for PR-70 and $35 for P-R70 DCAM.

Given that every proof I've come across for these sets (or for that matter, in this decade) is a DCAM, I would think that a non-cameo proof (if they even exist at all) would be much rarer and perhaps even comparable in price to a mint-error coin. Do non-cameo proof even exist at all in the 2000's/2010's, and if they do, do they truly sell for less than their DCAM counterparts as the PCGS value guide would suggest?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PCGS population reports would show if they've graded any non-cameo proofs.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm...didn't think of that... That's quite interesting. The population report shows a population of 6 and 3 for Yellowstone and Yosemite 2010-S Clad Non-Cameo Proofs, respectively, compared to 2795 and 2754 DCAMS. There is also 1 Cameo (but not DCAM) Yellowstone quarter.

In any case, I'd certainly like to see one of these--and would be curious to find out what they actually sell for.
Learn More...
United States
61434 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting point. I suspect it is the demand that drives the price in this case. Low pop plus low value equal less desire for submission. Besides, everyone loses their nut (Scrat!) over DCAMs, why get a "less than perfect" example?

Then consider the production. What produces the DCAM effect? Fresh dies and early strikes. The longer a die is used, less cameo effect, then the dies get replaced. So yes, feasibly there are indeed less non-DCAMs around, the Mint makes what sells, DCAM does, the lesser doesn't.
Valued Member
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2018  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the PCGS price guide but I find that when I also reference the NGC price guide that I get a lot better idea of actual price range and rarity stats. Also near the bottom of the page on the PCGS guide it lists the coins that have been auctioned by agency and price realized.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05