Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1843 seated dollar purchase

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
2241 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2018  10:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin was talked about in a previous topic about cracking and resubmitting. It lost its cac sticker and stayed the same AU-55 PCGS grade. Last time it sold in January it went for about 1250 with buyers premium at Great collections. Just bought the same coin for $935 with buyers premium. Decent price?

https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...r-PCGS-AU-55
Edited by jerryc39
06/04/2018 1:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17097 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of coin I'd break out of the slab and put in my Album.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1739 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent enough. The obverse looks like it's been cleaned.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
6920 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Decent enough. The obverse looks like it's been cleaned.

Looks like a nice coin with original surfaces. GreatCollections' photography makes the coin appear cleaned. MikeF and basebal21 were discussing this coin a few days ago.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
1739 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dark haloes around Liberty and the stars are nearly perfect, suggesting to me that the entire obverse was originally dark. Whether it was or not, this appearance probably kept the bidding down.

Where the pole passes over the arm, the original patina is still present. Yet the adjacent cap and arm surfaces show no patination.
Edited by thq
06/04/2018 12:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6920 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you seen the PCGS TrueView pics thq? The coin looks completely different. Much more pleasing surface color.

Anyway, this will finally help resolve the debate about GC's photos, mostly between Mike and Baseball. If jerryc39 could tell us which looks more like the coin in hand - the GC pics or the TrueView - this will help with what I am now calling "The Great GC Photography Debate."
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
06/04/2018 12:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11053 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you seen the PCGS TrueView pics thq? The coin looks completely different. Much more pleasing surface color.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1739 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I haven't seen them. The bidders in the auction saw the pictures Jerryc39 posted, and poor photography may have cost the seller a few hundred dollars. Or maybe honest photography, from the buyer's standpoint. They reveal flaws. Caveat emptor.

With cross lighting, I can make coins look more pleasing. With normal top lighting (in hand) the date on this beat-up half dime is not visible:

With multidirectional lighting I could conceal the surface flaws that are evident with cross lighting and still show the date.

So which is the honest view? It really does come down to how it looks in hand.

Edited by thq
06/04/2018 12:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8747 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like a fair price. Do you think the buyer from January was hoping for a 58?! They likely had over $1300 in it and got $850 out of it?

Should be easy to get it re-stickered should you chose to do so. Congrats on your purchase.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice pickup
good price for the coin and the grade seems accurate and even if it pushed to 58 it would not be criminal
Pillar of the Community
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I knew one of you sharks wouldn't be able to resist it. I think you did ok. The eye appeal just isn't there for me and I wonder if the guy send it into CAC and it was rejected. That would be worst case scenario. They keep a record of each coin they decline.

Let us know what it looks like inhand.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2241 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hoping it looks like PCGS pics. Guilty of sharklike behavior also!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2241 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found out today Great Collections is getting it restickered with green bean for me before they ship it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sweet! I send you my address for my cut.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2241 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
perfect!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3018 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well how does it look inhand?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05