Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storing for display Cdn Coins.. What's your best method / choice?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
13 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  1:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add harleywilliam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, first and foremost, I have significant OCD tendencies :)

I have been trying to find the way to store my collection (Primarily 1 cents but have a sprinkling of everything in between, including paper money).. Most of what I have is Raw but do have some ICCS. Over the last say 6-8 odd years, I've tried:

Eagle Coin - Ultra Coin Albums.
- Was very impressed with the overall design / fit / finish. However, they do not make this album for large cents, nor can you change up sizes within the albums (All small cent size...). Plus I was not satisfied with the labeling methods (I had simply written date and abbreviated type as I have stored together all circ / specimen / PL / Proof together.
- I used the Classic albums for the large cents and they actually work very well. The only caveat again is labeling. I also am not a fan of the black holders. They do have them in white however stock has dried up and due to lack of demand with the color they will no longer be making white ones... :(

Quadrum square coin capsules
- I recently started trying to use the Quadrum square capsules. I first tried with the small cents. Fitment was quite good, however it is a bit of a chore to get them installed properly. Unfortunately I first tried them with the black finish and was not a fan of the overall look. Secondly, I could not find a suitable labeling method that would work on them...
- I then came across quadrums with a white finish.. So, I tried these. Overall they are not bad.. BUT, fitment on the large cents is atrocious. And, as I use these more and more, I am starting to dislike the thickness of the case... I am able to cut / fit labels onto these which are not too bad. But again, I am not completely satisfied.

Did I mention I have OCD tendencies!! :)

Which brings me to my next perpective:

MATRIX self-adhesive 2X2 holders and the associated albums.
- I would have the ability to mix sizes if needed
- With that said, they do not make a specific size for the large cents which means i'd have to go with something a bit bigger, leaving the coins to move around in the holder, changing rotation :(
- There seems to be some kind of leaflet labeling page which might be a solution to my labeling concerns....

Questions I have:

1 ---- What do other people use?
2 ---- My local shop does not carry the MATRIX supplies and says that he is concerned over the glues and how it will affect the coins. What do others think?

Cheers,
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1211 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use paper 2x2's stapled for the large cent coins they are very close to the Canadian nickel 50 cent coins in size. I then store them in plastic pages of 20 coins per page in a 3 ring binder for raw coins.
All my better coins I have in third party grading slabs and flips in there boxes
Pillar of the Community
United States
1937 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 1 1/2 X 1 1/2's for all my large cents .. 30 to a page. There's more than enough room (if you write small) to even ID all the markers/variety on them. In the same album binder, you can use a few pages of 2 x 2's for larger coins. I don't know why you are in a quandry .. there's nothing simpler/cheaper than creating your own albums. Why spend money to cram your stuff into someone else's idea of an album?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
853 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2018  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good question and one I have been wrestling with and would like a better solution. So far, my preferred method is to purchase the 3x3 hard plastic sleeves that fit the TPG graded coins in a binder. I then fill in the empty slots with whatever the coin is being stored, as my collection is a mix of ICCS, PCGS, NGC, 2x2 and Quadrum's. I like that I can easily flip through a series in order and not have to go through multiple boxes/page styles.

So far I have only done this for denominations that have a significant portion in TPG holders (eg. Large Cents). I put most of my quarters in the black quadrum holders, which I really like. Unfortunately you can only fit about 45 coins in a 3" binder if using the 3x3 sheets, which means a full set of Canadian stuff would be well over 20 binders.

In a perfect world it would all be in the same holder, but not feasible in many cases, as the cost of a TPG is multiples of what a common dime is worth. And for resale purposes, it is not the greatest idea to crack all your high value MS coins out of their holders.

The OCD in me would like them all to be the same, but I have a feeling it will remain a mix. My favorite is the Quadrum wood box with 3 inserts, it would hold about 60 of their square holders, but I was not willing to break all of my coins out of the TPG holders to do it (not the higher value MS coins anyway).

Very curious to see what others do.
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use MATRIX self-adhesive 2x2 holders and slip them into the binder sheets that hold 20 2x2s each. For now I am only collecting Elizabeth II coins since 1953 and I have none worth any significant amount.

If I were to start collecting graded coins, I picture myself sticking with one format (ICCS plastic holders, or the larger slabs) so I can fit them in an album with consistency. I guess I will see as time goes on.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05