Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Offer Vs Buy It Now, Which Ebay Listing Style Has More Success?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,589Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  03:33 am Show Profile   Check Johnathan55's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Johnathan55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering which style of eBay listing gets the most views and sells more quickly: A Buy it now listing with an item set at its lowest acceptable selling price, or a Buy it now listing with "Best Offer" enabled, with the items price slightly above that of lowest possible.

For example, let's say a seller is listing a trade token worth about $20, and is firm on selling it for no less than $20.

Option A: Buy it now, priced at $20, no best offer.

Option B: Buy it now, priced at $30, best offer enabled.

Would A or B rank higher in the search results? Would having best offer enabled attract more buyers and ultimately have a better chance at selling? Or is it a wash in the end? I was hoping some of the more experienced sellers on here may have an opinion. Thank you!
Edited by Johnathan55
06/12/2018 04:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16514 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a buyer not a seller . I like listings that state BIN or make offer . Most times when I make a reasonable offer ,it is accepted . In my opinion this attracts more buyers because you feel like your getting a good deal on a coin you like at the price YOU want to pay .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The BIN should sell better imo. The best offers often attract the bargain hunters who are only interested for pennies on the dollar and the back and forth takes time during which they may find a different one. The buyers who actually want it will buy it right away if they like the price
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with basebal21 on this one -- I hate to haggle. The only time I made an offer was a couple of months ago:

I watched an auction for an entire week, planning to bid at the last minute. Then I forgot about it. The auction closed with no bids, and I would have got it for the opening price. A day or so later, the seller listed the same piece as BIN about $50 higher than the auction price. I made my offer $5 over the auction's opening bid with a note that I missed bidding -- it was instantly rejected. The seller would have been willing to sell the piece for the opening bid but not my higher offer a day later. Didn't make any sense, so I didn't buy it and the experience did not improve my opinion of "make an offer".
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm strictly auction, both buying and selling.

If you are offering Best Offer you should intend to accept at least 80% of list price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5424 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer combining BIN and BO with auto-accept set at the minimum you'd take.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting back to the original question, I can't say for sure how BIN/BO affects search results -- there are a lot of criteria that go into "best match", which (for all I know) may include your own buying preferences.

As for which has a better sell-through, that may also depend on the type of coin in question -- common moderns may have a different offer success rate than uncommon classics, for example. You could look at the Sold listings for the type of coin you're curious about. Items that sold with the best offer will have a line through the asking price. But that page won't tell you how many others sold without an offer, or whether one was available.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2417 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do option B, but also set a minimum offer on your items. You might want to choose a number like $20 in this instance, or a set percentage as I do (75%) and then eBay will automatically reject all the offers below the selected threshhold. I really like this option a lot because it discourages the lowballers only there looking for a ridiculous deal or to rip you off.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,589Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: