Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which auction sites do you buy on?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  5:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cheyenne to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've signed up at Great Collections (and won my first few auctions last Sunday). Any other auction sites I should be looking at as I ease back into collecting? I steered away from Heritage due to the high buyer fees. Is David Lawrence site another good one? I know many like eBay, but for now I'll probably avoid until I'm more comfortable that I have the knowledge to avoid fakes, etc.
Edited by Cheyenne
06/12/2018 5:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David Lawrence has done well for me in the past but they haven't had many attractive pieces lately and their prices tend to be on the high side (but then, fees are built in so it could be deceiving).

Personally, I like GC. The other sites I've looked at are either pricey, infrequent, or both. There is always eBay and if you buy certified coins you're less likely to run into fakes wherever you shop.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8458 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently it sounds you are into the Big Boy coins. Personally way over my allowables and interest. I prefer smaller auctions with less quality or lower graded slabs. Now I have picked up MS68's and PF67's for really good deals on http://www.proxibid.com. Just have to really watch the BP's (15-20%) and sometimes shipping(read the terms on each house). But for most all my collections I've done very well and actually have two local auction firms with at least a once a year coin auction where local pickup reduces the BP to 10%, a nice advantage against the online bidders! Some purchases actually turn into pretty good flips on the alternative to eBay site.

Edited by Crazyb0
06/12/2018 6:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The two I buy from are Great collections and David Lawrence. As mentioned previously David Lawrence is a little higher priced but you don’t have to pay buyers fees.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15068 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The percentage of buyers fees charged makes NO DIFFERENCE - none - zero - zilch, over the final amount paid on a lot.

Anyone doing auctions with any consistently cannot afford to NOT take those fees into account - but what you want to pay is the key - not the percentages.

Heritage sells more great TPG for the average $100-$3000 price range than anyone. Bar none.

If you want to pay $100 for a Coin sold with a 20% BP, divide the $100 by 1.2 for the amount you want to limit your bid to.

Same for every other percentage.

The percentage the auction house charges has almost nothing to do with the final amount paid.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10272 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Heritage sells more great TPG for the average $100-$3000 price range than anyone. Bar none.

I'd up that number in all honesty.

300 and under eBay is king by far.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15068 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with you baseball, if they had any auctions
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OttawaVoyageur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if they had any auctions

Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never used an eBay auction. All of my purchases have been Buy It Now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16537 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never tried an auction. Way too many coin shows in my area.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1369 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  09:16 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heritage is my main auction house, though I use eBay to buy smaller items. I find that GC has a lot of coins with high reserves that do not sell and Stacks has a website that is hard to navigate. I really like Gary Adkins and followed him to DLRC, whom I do not like. I told him the problems with the DLRC website and the fact that there are almost never lower priced items and their auction and BIN stock are intermixed, but I have not seen changes. Also, their auctions are a sham. They are auctioning off their own stock and if it goes too low, they will shill it up themselves. I say away from those type of "auctions".
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Edited by Andrew99
06/13/2018 09:22 am
Learn More...
United States
56841 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Way too many coin shows in my area.
Lucky!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cheyenne to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10272 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. I told him the problems with the DLRC website and the fact that there are almost never lower priced items and their auction and BIN stock are intermixed, but I have not seen changes. Also, their auctions are a sham. They are auctioning off their own stock and if it goes too low, they will shill it up themselves. I say away from those type of "auctions"

As far as who owns what in DLRC auctions that’s really not accurate. Many of those coins are consigned but yes they do own some, key word some.

What makes no sense to me is you’re blasting DLRC for doing the same thing your main source Hertiage does. Heritage sells their own stock and Heritage reserves the right to bid on anything they’re selling they want to bid on but you stay away from DLRC for doing the same
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05