Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1901-S Barber Half Dollar  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  10:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up for $135. Not as nice as twotonevf35's example, but I thought if was about F15. Not sure if it's been cleaned, but good enough to purchase and examine in hand. Thoughts on grade and problems? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15 sounds spot on, although I do suspect a light cleaning.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice detail. I can only wonder if I will look that good when I am 117 years old.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5026 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-15
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1427 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  03:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

F15..

Not sure if I would have bought it for $135.
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you share your thoughts on why you wouldn't have picked it up for that price? This is a semi key in the series that sells around $250-300 in f15. Thanks for your comments y'all.
Edited by numismatic student
06/13/2018 08:15 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8485 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason I would not pick it up at that price is because it's a details coin . Cleaned .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if it were cleaned it would fetch more than $135.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15670 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaning significantly reduces the value on Barbers, especially the halves, since such a large percentage of them have been cleaned.

Uncleaned examples are the scarce coins everyone wants and they pay great prices for them.

Cleaned Barbers cut out a lot of buyers who have no interest in "bargain" prices.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even cleaned examples of the 1901s are scarce. This isn't a common date barber half. Anyhow, not sure at this point that this coin is cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5026 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason it was cheap is because it has been cleaned, but market acceptable IMO. Everyone wants original examples rather than cleaned ones even if they are market acceptable. People will pay large amounts for Barber coins with original surfaces because there are so few. Most are cleaned harshly, or have a market acceptable cleaning.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously an original coin is preferable to a cleaned coin in most cases (there are coins conserved and cleaned much nicer than ugly original coins). But the numismatic world is made up of much more than just the originality purists. Many people want to complete a set without taking out a second mortgage. Looking forward to examining this one in hand. Such is the joy and anticipation of coin collecting.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15670 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You certainly have every right to collect exactly as it makes you happy. I, and others, offer suggestions on what we do, which you may or may not find suitable for yourself.

But on the subject of 1901-S Barber half dollars, there are over 200 of them on eBay right now. There is a beautiful original NGC F-12 for $10 dollars more than you paid - $145.00, as one example.

With the money you do show that you spend I would much rather have fewer coins and nicer examples. Buying 20-30, or more, coins per month gets the juices flowing when you get to unwrap new coins almost every day. I'm thinking most of us did that in our beginning purchases (especially when eBay actually had auctions). At least I did.

But for me, I've come to the point where I only buy coins that I absolutely love. Coins that I will always feel bad about if I missed them. As long as they are within a fair market range, or sometimes even over. Some coins really are very difficult or impossible to replace, as you well know.

So when I see the amounts you pay each time you show us a new coin, and you are rightly proud of most of those purchases, I still feel like I'd love to see you take a months worth of spending on a single killer coin. If you do it a couple of times, you won't need to open packages too often to enjoy your collection. It becomes less about the arrival of the coins, and more about the hunt for beautiful metal.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appreciate that you are always helpful even though we don't agree all the time. You are a true gentleman.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5364 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was curious about the NGC f12 coin selling for $145 and I decided to check it out. It is overgraded. That coin only had one letter in LIBERTY complete - the L. Most of the letters are missing. The coin in this thread has almost the entire LIBERTY lettering visible with just tbe R incomplete, maybe the B although it shows nicely. I think that NGC coin is vg10.

There were 3 other f12 stabbed coins. One was an NGC coin selling for ~$168. That one had no letters in LIBERTY legible. There was a PCGS coin selling for $275 which was wiped with hairlines in the fields. The other PCGS f12 was nice and priced right at $255.

Scarce doesn't mean rare. A 1909-S VDB Lincoln is scarce but you can find hundreds of them for sale on eBay. Certainly there are more of those around than 1901-S Barber halves.

These days, coins don't have to be expensive for me to like them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27407 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12 and almost certainly cleaned at one point. Not a fan.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05