Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1807 FM contemporary counterfeit 8 reales  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  9:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Purchased on eBay recently being sold as a genuine coin (or at least not attributed as a CC). Weighs between 25.9 and 26 grams. Silver plated, thick enough that I nearly sliced my finger on the lamination near the top of the left column. The Gurney book lists two examples of an 1807-FM (wrong assayer initials), but this one does not appear to match either. The edge has the normal two overlaps at 180 degrees.
I'd love to get an opinion from swamperbob, but he hasn't been around in a while and I hope everything is alright.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
swamperbob is pretty good at responding to a PM
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get an accurate average diameter and thickness?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have calipers on hand, but visually the diameter and thickness does not appear to be any different from a genuine piece. I sent Bob a PM this morning and hope to hear back. No such luck last time, thus my concern.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Counterfeits tend to be slightly thicker so that the weight is closer to normal.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add afewmorecents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...and it is silver plated because? First thing to do is take the specific gravity. Very many silver coins get black areas where it looks like plating is wearing off. That peeling may just be a lamination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1578 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...and it is silver plated because? First thing to do is take the specific gravity. Very many silver coins get black areas where it looks like plating is wearing off. That peeling may just be a lamination.

Plated because you can see the much darker core beneath the silver layer. This is typical of circulating counterfeits of this type.

I ordered electronic calipers and should have exact diameter/thickness later this week.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 20021sc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little off beat from original post. But, Numismat mentioned here swamperbob hasn't been commenting on posts here lately on this site. Does anyone have any info on how he is?
I've read his posts from years ago and his health has not been the best at times for sure and hope he is ok.

if anyone knows what's up with him, please let us know that are concerned.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05