Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buying raw silver certificates

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  02:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Monkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I havenít ever purchased silver certificate, but was wondering how more experienced people go about purchasing raw ones. Raw of course meaning ungraded. I suspect that there is people out there counterfeiting these old silver certificates just like they do for currency now. Is there any things you guys do when buying paper currency to make sure you arenít buying a worthless fake?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have yet to see a counterfeit small-sized Silver Certificate. I have seen maybe seen one or two large size examples.
Buy from a reputable paper money dealer (PCDA). Counterfeit paper money is usually modern, higher denominations for use in retail transactions. I occasionally read about counterfeit collector coins and counterfeit coins in counterfeit holders, but itís not nearly as prevalent for older, collector quality paper money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look in some of the coin papers and mags. There usually are ads selling these per 5,10,20, fairly cheap. Better condition and serial numbers have been picked out.
Also try your local coin shop or coin show.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try banks. They may have the newest printings sleeping in the vault.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1428 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try banks. They may have the newest printings sleeping in the vault.

Huh ? I was not aware that banks have SCís . I can see where they might receive SCís from deposits, but not on a regular basis. Please let us know which banks are holding SCís.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They stopped printing silver certificates in the 1960's, but all of those were series 1957.
When they announced the demise, a boat load of them were horded by collectors, so there are a lot of them out there.
The 57's are only worth a bit over face value, unless they are choice uncirculated or better, then maybe 9 or 10 bucks. (the $1 ones)
Older ones are worth a tad more than comparable bills from those dates.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Edited by mtuma3
06/24/2018 09:26 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28218 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Monkey - Tell us a bit more about what denominations of SC's you are interested in buying, in what quantities, and why this interests you.

to the Paper Money Forum
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobkvjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were some counterfeit $1 SC circulating during WW II. The Axis Powers were circulating spurious notes with propaganda notations on them.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice propaganda note.

KK
Learn More...
United States
60291 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were some counterfeit $1 SC circulating during WW II. The Axis Powers were circulating spurious notes with propaganda notations on them.
Very interesting!
Valued Member
Canada
185 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there any things you guys do when buying paper currency to make sure you arenít buying a worthless fake?

That's a tough question. Really, when you're buying notes online, you're quite vulnerable (since you can't inspect said note in person). I typically go with an tried/trusted eBay seller who has a high sales record.

In fact, just got this 1957 for about $10

Pillar of the Community
United States
1159 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah you'll learn who you can deal with. Nice pick-up W2W.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05