Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

C'mon PCGS: They can't both be F15 Oregon Commems

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  10:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No way these coins are getting 3 reviews for a consensus grade - they are lucky to get a 10 second look by one grader. Allocation of scarce resources - I get it - plus lack of experience with these coins below AU.

PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
Canada
559 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO

F-15 and a strong G-6
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10909 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. they are lucky to get a 10 second look by one grader.

Thatís just simply not true. You can disagree with a grade without spreading inaccurate information about the process. There is far two much misinformation that gets put out about how they operate.

The first coin was very likely net graded for an old and/or light cleaning that wasnít quite bad enough for a details grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7890 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  02:10 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is far two much misinformation that gets put out about how they operate.

Care to share the accurate information you hold and the source(s)? Otherwise, it's all rhetoric and the statements from either side can be easily dismissed.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10909 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  02:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Care to share the accurate information you hold and the source(s)? Otherwise, it's all rhetoric and the statements from either side can be easily dismissed.

No itís not just rhetoric no matter how much some of you wish it was. Coins arenít getting a 10second look or less by a single grader and being slabbed period. Known proven fact
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7890 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  02:36 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No itís not just rhetoric no matter how much some of you wish it was. Coins arenít getting a 10second look or less by a single grader and being slabbed period. Known proven fact

That is all, again, just rhetoric. I am not defending the claims of anyone, but I do have a problem with squashing them without any semblance of proof. What is the:

Quote:
Known proven fact

...and how is it so?
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10909 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  02:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is all, again, just rhetoric. I am not defending the claims of anyone, but I do have a problem with squashing them without any semblance of proof..

You do actually seem to be pushing an agenda.

Should I also prove 2 + 2 equals 4? How about that gravity exists or that the earth isnít flat?

This is elementary 101 about the process.

Hate them, donít use them, ignore them I donít care, just stop with the misinformation.

The most basic level of research that would take about a commercial break to find would show PCGS uses two graders minimum per coin. So does NGC so does ICG.

Do some research instead of just constantly challenging me for correcting misformation about basic processes
Edited by basebal21
06/25/2018 03:22 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So why the obvious difference in grade,
when both have been given the same designated grade?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3845 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  03:31 am  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't PCGS have a buyback guarantee for this exact scenario? When coin graders look at so many coins I can understand a mishap like this happen, even multiple experts can get(and have gotten) it wrong
Edited by Adam_E
06/25/2018 03:32 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8679 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  03:47 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks closer to VF20 & VG10 to me. These coins are not candidates for bulk grading and as such are viewed by at least three professional graders (one of whom could be the finalizer) at PCGS.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6400 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm reading a lot of discussion about PCGS wizards process - but the point IMHO is their inconsistency in grading these seldom seen honestly circulated classic silver commemorative.

Truly concur with the OP - I could post over ten examples whereby the wizards at PCGS failed to assign a correct grade - its an issue we need to deal with in our pursuit of these rare coins.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it really would be better, if we could all learn to grade accurately for ourselves.
I see slabbing having it's best use as TPG for coins for sale, but even that could be a problem if the SLQ's pictured were offered for sale together.

I think that some collectors at least,
have a display problem, when there is a mixture of slabbed coins, and coins in 2x2 flips in their collections.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28307 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with BH1964 at VF-20 and VG-10. Shouldn't be an excuse, but I'd guess most graders wouldn't have much of a mental data bank on well-worn individual early commemoratives.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1765 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
perhaps, there data base is a little sketchy, were the coins graded at the same time? too many questions, but I would send those exact photos to PCGS and ask for an explanation.. or a free regrade.. someone dropped the ball..
Pillar of the Community
United States
5616 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Older US Commemoratives in heavily circulated condition are often inaccurately graded by PCGS IMO. They do better on other US coins but their grading of Classic Commemoratives can be a bit off sometimes.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasn't expecting all the replies, and I should have put the /s (sarcasm) font re: the grading process. It's a matter of trust for any non-bulk submission that we are getting the 3 reviewer-consensus process - unless someone is actually in the room.

Thanks for those who have offered grade opinions. The 1926 has no signs of cleaning whatsoever for whoever threw that out there. Plus, PCGS *rewards* lightly cleaned silver with upgrading vs heavily toned coins, which they market downgrade instead of technical grading.

They were not submitted in the same submission but pretty close. I have a future submission which is going to be very interesting, and worth the $$ to me vs a multitude of other things I could waste money on.

fwiw, I concur that the 1926 is VF and 26 S is VG.

There is no reason to market grade these. Coin value is not the issue with these since not rare, not going for a PO1 or MS68. Once upon a time, there was a "Presidential Review" ie DH could over-rule the grade on the slab, but it was not meant for these.

Before the lowball registry, you could write "David Hall review please" on the submission form, and he would do so at no extra charge - since he took an interest in the whole lowball concept.
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05