Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dansco 37mm pages for 1935-67 Canada silver dollars?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2018  12:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I'm resuming my Canadian collection after a long hiatus. I had to sell my 50c pieces, and still miss them dearly. But I'm starting back on my dollars.

Though my brown Gardmasters were fine for my 50c and 10c collections, I've noticed some ugly toning in my Gardmaster 1935-86 $1 album. Fortunately I don't have many coins in it, but my 1937's reverse now looks terrible, as does a circulation 1965.

So I've decided to go with Dansco, which has always treated my U.S. coins so well. Since I haven't been able to find the Dansco 7620 Canada Dollar album, I ordered a generic one from them that just says "Canadian Coins", and four pages with 37mm slots for the coins.

Does anyone else have any experience with displaying their dollars into Danscos with 37mm slots?
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or, anybody with any experience using Dansco albums for Canadian coins?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7231 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Dansco for Canadian small cents.
I hate it, the holes are so small it's a real struggle to get coins in or out.
It's now half empty because it's simply not worth the effort required to remove all the coins. I've set it aside to go to the recyclers with coins in it.
Theoretically 37mm should work for you but if they couldn't figure out that Canadian cent slots should be the same size as Lincoln cent slots.......
There's a reason their Canadian albums were never popular with collectors and were discontinued.

"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
06/30/2018 02:41 am
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah - sorry to hear that. Well, if the Dansco album doesn't work,I guess I'll try either the Whitman folder or the blue Uni-Safe album for dollars.

Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had great success with Dansco albums, granted mostly for US coins. I do have my Canadian circulation finds in blank cent, nickel, dime, and quarter pages. I have never had any Canadian half dollar or large dollar coins so I cannot say how they would fit in the appropriate mm holes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
757 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have had no issues with Gardmaster but Lighthouse makes some good stuff.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1879 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Mister Kairu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used the Dansco for some world crown-sized coins (including Canada silver dollar) and it worked just fine for me. Just a note, some of the coins were hard to get in/out so if you use them, probably best to make sure you want to keep them in there.
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have fully drunk the Lighthouse kool-aid. I have a collection of high grade dollars (non-TPG) that I keep in 36mm round capsules stored in the CAPS36 trays. I have a number in Quadrum square cases (more protection than 2x2 cardboard flips and reusable). My daughter is building a set into the blue Lighthouse Numis dateset albums and I use the Lighthouse trays for my ICCS graded dollars.

It helps that Lighthouse is readily available here from most of the LCS in the region. Dansco and other systems are not as common here.

I also use the CAPS36 trays for the 1971-date NCLT SD set.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have fully drunk the Lighthouse kool-aid.
I could see myself doing that if I had to start over.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for all of these responses.

Today my 37mm Dansco pages arrived, after my "Canadian Coins" binder and 1 1/4" slipcase arrived separately earlier this week.

I had been thinking of going a similar route with my 1c collection, but am now intrigued by the Lighthouse Vista album for the cent. The only difficulty is that I've generally only been interested in cents through the George V era. The album goes all the way from 1858-2013.

I could probably persuade myself to take the series through 1967, as I have with the silver denominations, but there would likely be several blank pages.

If my experience with the 37mm Danscos proves to be as difficult as DBM's, I may strongly consider the Vista $1 album for 1935-67.
Edited by DesGaulles02
07/05/2018 2:29 pm
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, I put my 1935 and '36 dollars into the Dansco. Because I opted for 37mm holes, the fit is definitely not tight; in fact it may be a bit too loose.

There is definitely room for the coins to slide around slightly in the slots, so I wonder if these means there will be a pocket of air that could damage them?

Presumably I could correct this by using pages with 36mm holes, but then of course I would run into the difficulty of having trouble taking coins out and putting them in.

As I said, if this doesn't work, I'm prepared to just get the Lighthouse Vista 1935-67 $1 album.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Air is going to get in no matter what. The albums are not meant to be air tight.

You can create shims to hold the coins in place, to keep them from rotating and shifting around. I had to do this in my 7070 since the early coins stuck without a collar are often smaller than the hole. I used the cardboard from a 2x2. Cut a thin strip with a utility knife. You may need to experiment with it to get the right length needed.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. Unfortunately, I'm not very handy, and I don't trust myself to make shims that wouldn't end up scratching the coins.

Since I've gone to the expense of order the binder and the slipcase, what I'll probably do is to get the 36mm pages, and deal with the excess of tightness.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the holes are too tight then you can use something to stretch it out a bit. I used a round wooden pencil (unpainted natural wood), others have used a sacrificial coin. What you do not want to do is force your good coins in and risk damaging them.

I wish you good luck and do let us know how those work!
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DesGaulles02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some sacrificial coin candidates of the proper size, for sure, so I would probably use one of those to stretch it. Thanks for all your help!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05