Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Peace Dollar with Spike on Eagle's Shoulder

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
901 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  09:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been slowly selling off most of my US coins collected as a kid, but have held onto my silver dollars (thus far) for sentimental reasons.
Poking around out here on the community, I've heard about this VAM thing, and decided to look more closely at my Peace dollars. Lo and behold, looks like I might have a couple of VAMs! (BTW, 2 out of a population of just 10 Peace dollars impressed me. Is that typical?)
Both are the same type: a spike upward from the eagle's shoulder. Here is the 1922 (it shows up more distinctly than in the photo ... need to work on that!):
If anyone is familiar with these, grateful for an attribution.

Edit: Here is a better photo. On reading a bit more about VAMs, I realize this type of spike is likely not attributable. However, I am also seeing a feature at the juncture of the eagle's neck and left shoulder, and between the first and second rays over the eagle's back, and between the M in UNUM and the eagle.
Help!

Edited by tdziemia
07/02/2018 4:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
23519 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a typical clashing location and configuration, and as such not usually definitive of a specific variety since a large plurality of dies clashed there.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05