Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wheat cents with environmental damage..

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  2:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking through my rolls of wheat cents the other day and noticed that a good deal of them had green spots on them. I immediately removed the coins with corrosion/damage and set them aside. I have been keeping them all in plastic tubes. My questions are:
1. Are all the tubes compromised, and do I need new ones?
2. What is the best way to remove the damage from the coins? They are common date cents, and I'm open to experimenting.
3. Could the other cents that were in the rolls that didn't have spots develop spots later, even though I removed the other cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put the coins in a jar of virgin olive oil for a time. Agitate and check periodically.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
4027 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jason , you need to read how our members use pure acetone to help with your problem.
Go to the, "Search Coin Community", box and punch in acetone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29437 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show us some pics as examples, please.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4027 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Put the coins in a jar of virgin olive oil for a time. Agitate and check periodically.

No, this may work for Ancient Coin but,
@ Ken, welcome back. CCF members have found a better method for restoring modern coins using a dip or soak in pure Acetone.
There are some variables when to use it but, there is a good discussion in the forum. Look it up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Photos would give us an improved ability to offer solutions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without viewing your coins I'll stick by my original method of Acetone then Verdi-Care .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11045 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be careful with acetone it can change the color of copper according to a professional conservationist.

Definitely get new tubes though they're cheap enough to not risk it
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13565 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do Acetone soaks all of the time. I only do soaks for 4 hours though. Just don't leave them in Acetone too long.
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17085 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Be careful with acetone it can change the color of copper according to a professional conservationist.

Do you have the name of that so called professional? I've been using Acetone on Copper coins for well over 60 years now. Never had the color of the coins changed. I would like to know who this so called professional is.

Quote:

And another bad idea. First of all not all so called olive oils are the same. Next most contain a mild Acid which is not good for coins.
Please remember. Saying Olive Oil is like saying soap. Lots of different kinds.
just carl
Edited by just carl
07/03/2018 11:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never had any problems with the olive oil method. I wasn't aware that acetone could take off verdigris. I was under the impression that it takes off the plasticized gunk that remains on coins from cheap holders. EAC collectors have been using olive oil for years with great success. I will pick up some acetone and give it a shot.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wasn't aware that acetone could take off verdigris

I said acetone followed by Verdi-Care , a product made by CCF member Bad Thad available on e-Bay .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice. I keep forgetting the bag I put all the cents in to take pictures, but it sounds like I need to soak them in acetone. I'll pick some up soon, and get more tubes. I did some research on verdigris, and that's exactly what is on the coins.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Do you have the name of that so called professional? I've been using Acetone on Copper coins for well over 60 years now. Never had the color of the coins changed. I would like to know who this so called professional is.
I believe it is only an issue for RED copper and even then under specific circumstances involving exposure to direct sunlight. It has been discussed before, I will see if I can find it.
Learn More...
United States
62367 Posts
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JBuck. I will try acetone. I finally got around to taking a picture of a few of the cents. You can see the green spots I was talking about.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05