Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wheat cents with environmental damage..

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another question, Is a clean mason jar an adequate vessel to treat the coins, and how many can I do at one time?
Learn More...
United States
61463 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks JBuck. I will try acetone. I finally got around to taking a picture of a few of the cents. You can see the green spots I was talking about.
Acetone will probably not do anything for those spots, but you have nothing to lose for trying. I think Verdi-Care will do a much better job.

Quote:
Another question, Is a clean mason jar an adequate vessel to treat the coins, and how many can I do at one time?
Yes. Just rinse it out with acetone first to make sure it is clean.

Let them soak for a bit then drain off the used acetone. Follow-up with a rinse in fresh acetone. Do not rinse with water; this is an unnecessary step since acetone will evaporate rather quickly. The reason to use fresh acetone for a final rinse it to make sure nothing dissolved into soaking acetone remains on the coin when it evaporates.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why don't you do a test and try half of the problem coins in acetone and half in virgin olive oil. You can put a bunch of the cents in the olive oil, periodic agitation is suggested. If you do this, let us know of the results. Why pay for a product when you probably have it in your wife's kitchen cabinet.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10973 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe it is only an issue for RED copper and even then under specific circumstances involving exposure to direct sunlight. It has been discussed before, I will see if I can find it.

Yes something along those lines. It's not that it will happen but it can and has happened before. It certainly doesn't mean to never use it, just that it's not 100 percent without risks like it is often presented as
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28874 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the pics, I feel strongly that only Verdi-Care will help, and even then there will be discolored areas left behind. Just not worth the effort or cost with common dates, except perhaps to experiment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6661 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I feel strongly that only Verdi-Care will help,

I wouldn't go "all in" on that either. I've used Verdi-Care every way people have instructed and I ain't impressed. Maybe it will stop verdigras from spreading but it sure don't get it gone! More of a coin preserver than a fixer.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05