Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Agriculture Themed Coins!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 707 / Views: 34,476Next Topic
Page: of 48
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1990 Turkey.
100 Lira.

Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2021  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1974 Pakistan.
10 Paisa

Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2021  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1975 Bhutan
10 Chetrums - Jigme Singye

Edited by Dorado
05/11/2021 9:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1979 Repubblica Italiana
L.100

Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2021  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1942 Jamaica
Penny - George VI With KING AND EMPEROR; large head

Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6568 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2021  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I previously posted the 1925 Battle of Lexington-Concord half dollar in this "Agriculture Themed Coins" thread, I stated that it was the only issue that I believed had a strong enough design element (a plow) to earn its "Agriculture" badge. Since then, I've gone back and given additional consideration to another coin that I believe merits inclusion in a topical set of agriculture-themed coins - the 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial half dollar.

The obverse of the Maine half dollar depicts the Maine State Seal. The Seal incorporates two supporters/figures, a husbandman (at left) and a sailor, each of which is shown with a tool of his trade.

Note: Per Merriam-Webster, a husbandman is "one that plows and cultivates land : FARMER."

The farmer is shown with his left hand resting on a scythe, while his right hand rests on his hip. A scythe is defined as "an implement used for mowing grass, grain, or other crops and composed of a long curving blade fastened at an angle to a long handle." (Merriam-Webster) So, the coin's design, courtesy of the Maine State Seal, clearly incorporates two tools used in agricultural endeavors - a farmer and a scythe - and thus makes its inclusion in this theme a reasonable proposition. (At least IMO!)

The coin was modeled by Anthony de Francisci from design sketches by Maine artist Harry Cochrane.

Here is a larger image of the Maine Seal: The color image presents each figure more clearly.

1920 Maine Statehood Centennial

For more on the 1920 Maine half dollar, visit:

- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial
- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial - Revisited
- 1920 Maine Statehood Centennial - State Seal Discussion
- 1925 Battle of Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial - Agriculture Themed Coins Thread

To read other posts on commemorative coins and medals, check out: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6568 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A CCF member who frequents the US Commemorative coin threads responded to a post of mine about agriculture as a coin design theme and suggested that the 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary half dollar was a coin from the classic series that had such a theme. I didn't originally consider it, because my mind was focused more on coins whose designs included tools used in the agricultural trade, but after thinking about the point he was making, I can definitely see the link. So...

The 1938 New Rochelle, NY 250th Anniversary half dollar was struck "in commemoration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding and settlement of the city of New Rochelle, New York." (Public Law 74-556)

On the coin's obverse is a scene depicting John Pell restraining the "fatted calfe" he had received as partial payment from those who settled on the land purchased from him; the purchase agreement specified an annual payment of such an animal. The settlement prospered and grew to become New Rochelle. Pell is shown grasping the animal's leash to restrain it and keep it under control. A calf falls under the heading of livestock and raising livestock is definitely an agricultural pursuit - so, Bingo!

The coin's reverse presents a true-to-life iris flower that is often incorrectly described in US commemorative coin references as a fleur-de-lis which is a decorative heraldic symbol that is, for example, often used to represent royalty on Seals and Flags.

The coin was designed by Gertrude Katherine Lathrop.

1938 New Rochelle, NY Half Dollar

I've written about the New Rochelle half dollar before, you can read the posts here:

- 1938 New Rochelle 250th Anniversary
- 1938 New Rochelle - Revisited
- 1938 New Rochelle - Coin Designs by a Woman Thread
- 1938 New Rochelle - Coins Depicting Flora Thread

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18297 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1983 Tunisia.
1 Dinar.

Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Page: of 48 Previous TopicReplies: 707 / Views: 34,476Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05