Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 Indian Head cent - grading help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
553 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was at my parent's house a few days ago, 600+ miles away, and my mom asks "Have I shown you grandpa's coins?" She's had them for 20 years and this is the first I've heard of them? Anyway, one of them is a 1909 IHC that a local "expert" called uncirculated. I'm not an expert on grading IHCs, but I'm not convinced it is. I'd say it's definitely a red, not RB, based on what I know from Lincolns.

Of course I wasn't prepared to take coin pictures, so I snapped a few pictures with my cell phone, which isn't the best, and was hoping they were good enough for review here. Please let me know what you think. They're through a hard plastic case, and the scratches are on the case.

I'm not sure what the green is on the ribbon and on the "N". It doesn't show up in hand, so it might be a reflection. I had another blurry picture of the reverse and it's not on that one.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:27 am  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have uncirculated or About Uncirculated detail, but unfortunately it looks like it has been dipped. The color just looks unnatural to me, but then again it could be the reflection.
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
6009 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks high grade and could be unc. obverse pics show weak feather detail and almost can't see diamonds on the ribbon. obverse surfaces are hard to tell whether original or rubbed, but reverse shows good luster.

can you provide an obverse picture that shows those details better?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the rub in the right obverse field. That alone indicates circulated, although better photos would help to confirm that.

The color does appear unnatural, as from a dip, but photos only are often inadequate to make that certain determination.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7371 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better pics please!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30253 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, straight-on (not tilted or slanted) shots, as sharp as possible.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9372 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell from these photos . It's at least AU but could be detailed .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6987 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details - some kind of cleaning. Colour is not natural
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
26pcs, of 28, so far

Pillar of the Community
United States
553 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StJoeBlues to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could provide better pix. Unfortunately I won't be going back to MN until next summer at the earliest. I can assure you the surface is natural and not dipped. The color is distorted by my decrepit and archaic phone and the poor lighting in the kitchen (my children laugh at how old my phone is).

I appreciate all the input. I was afraid the pictures wouldn't be adequate.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6987 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wish I could provide better pix. Unfortunately I won't be going back to MN until next summer at the earliest.

We're gonna need a bigger popcorn machine for this one!

26pcs, of 28, so far

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hand me a bag as long as you are there, Mark
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6987 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Running low - gotta run to the store

26pcs, of 28, so far

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14846 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, cleaned
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05