Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1924 Buffalo Nickel...You Vs. NGC  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  9:30 pm Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another one of last weekends pickups

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8223 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that gash on the face warrants a details grade . I'll try to be conservative , MS-64 Details
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
United States
5211 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unc details. unfortunate about the damage.
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62+ straight grade, the cheek scratch looks just 'small' enough to straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4196 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-62
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Korea, Republic Of
1858 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matteproof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS61.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26599 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to side with Unc details, I'm afraid.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC straight graded this at MS 64, I’m planning on submitting this for an appearance review, I was a little taken aback when I saw how bad that gash really was too
Pillar of the Community
United States
6172 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i had it at MS64 details since the gash is in such a critical location
Pillar of the Community
United States
5211 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they determined it was a mint strike through. That's the only way I would think this straight grades at 64. Looks like that is a gift. If you own the coin, what are you trying to achieve through the appearance review?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I understand if they agree that the grade they gave is incorrect they’ll do one of three things:

1. Take the coin and compensate me for the FMV

2. Regrade the coin and compensate me for the difference

3. Take the coin and give me a completely different one that was also graded MS64

I’d personally be happy with either options 1 or 3, considering its a free service minus shipping I figure its worth a shot, if not I still got it for a decent price so its not the end of the world.

Ill take another look at it tonight, it is possible that its a strike through I hadnt actually considered that
Pillar of the Community
United States
5211 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think fmv id PCGS price guide . I believe it is entirely in their discretion to determine what fmv is and they may say it is an unattractive ms64 worth 50% of PCGS price guide. I don't think that PCGS will pay out anything close to what an undamaged ms64 would go for in their inflated price guide. If it costs you nothing, then do it, but you will incur at least shipping as they are not likely to reassess and pay out in your favor based on pictures you submit.

If you do decide to do it, I would be interested in reading about what happens. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's NGC, but yeah, I think it's unlikely they'll give me anywhere in the range from their price guide. I'm not sure if they would discern between an "ugly" 64 and a "nice" 64, I would think to them that a 64 is a 64, I would imagine that it would be bad for business if NGC admitted that you could have two different types of coins worth two different values within one grade.

This is another one that I'll be bringing to the FUN show, I'm pretty sure NGC will have a booth there considering they're based at least in part in Sarasota, so I could possibly save on the one way shipping, too.

In my eyes it's worth it even for the information, if they truly believe they got this right, then i'll probably be taking my future submissions to PCGS instead.

I'll be sure to update this thread with the results of my endeavors!
Edited by Adam_E
07/09/2018 5:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3695 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay so just as I was about to send it off an NGC grader happened to be there, he took a look at it for me and said that it is indeed a strike through. The placement isn't ideal, but I'll live with it. So theres one mystery solved
Edited by Adam_E
07/12/2018 3:04 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05